Dive-Rite Dry Suit Gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't need them, when I first started diving with a drysuit I had floaty feet and nearly bought them. If I had I would consider that my only bad diving purchase.

Here's the deal, they work for the purpose they are designed. Whether or not you need them depends on how you dive and how much you've dove in your drysuit, plus how comfortable you are with it.

Basically they're in the same league as ankle weights IMO with the exception you're not swinging a couple pounds of lead up and down. If it comes down to a choice of weights or gaiters, go with the gaiters.

Fish_Whisperer:
Dive-Rite Express has a pair of gaiters for dry suits, to prevent "floaty feet." Any opinions on these, one way or the other?

Dive-Rite Gaiters

Hi Fish Whisperer...does the price include 2 gaiters, or one. I ask this because spring straps are sold separately at Diverite.

I have no experience on these gaiters. I have OMS ones which I would not recommend. The Halcyon ones are the most common ones that I see. Gaiters can be quite useful when the cut of the suit allows for a larger migration of gas towards the feet than anticipated. All of my drysuits are custom cut and I don't need gaiters. However, I bought a discount trilam and the calves are huge! I use the OMS gaiters on this drysuit only. If anything, the calves are certainly protected from small alligators, scratching cats and water moccasins. :D

Cheers,

X

Fish_Whisperer:
Dive-Rite Express has a pair of gaiters for dry suits, to prevent "floaty feet." Any opinions on these, one way or the other?

Dive-Rite Gaiters

I used them on my USIA suit because the legs were so baggy. They were o.k. but they did tend to fray after a while. As the others have said only get them if you really need them. I found they worked pretty good keeping air out of the feet.

Since I had "floaty feet" when I used steel doubles I ordered a pair from Scuba Toys. Before I had a chance to use them Grateful Diver loaned me a different wing than my instructor had given me to try, or that I had at home.

The different wing solved the problem so I sent them back; unused. And my dry suit is pretty baggy as it is an off the shelf thing.

My recommendation is that you experiment with different wings and adjustments before going to gaiters. I'll bet you solve the problem and don't have to use them.

I bought a pair to replace the ankle weights I was using and used them (the gaiters) for one dive. The next time I got in the water I forgot them & never noticed they were missing. At least they got me to see I didn't nedd ankle weights anymore. (shrug)

Same general sentiment. My first 10 drysuit dives were with these things, then I forgot them one day . . . haven't used them since. I do know of some very good divers that use them, it depends on how baggy your suit is.

Fin keepers are all I use now.

I, too, use them for my baggy USIA suit. They do their job. Collect a ton of sand in the velcro during surf exits is my only complaint.

I've been using them, they seem to prevent air migration into my lower legs. I have the Bare Nexgen suit which is kind of baggy at the calves so air migration can be an issue. What suit are you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom