Drysuit: Two options I face. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been looking into upgrading my current drysuit for some time now.

I was really hoping to score a used deal, but in a good four months of looking (actually more like a year, but four months ago I found a "starter" basic suit that has gotten me through the winter, but which I'd really like to upgrade away from), I really haven't found the one I've been looking for. At 6'3" but only 185# I'm a tough fit without going custom or having an incredibly baggy suit... or so I though. After discovering that I fit a stock Large DUI quite nicely (rental), I was really hoping perhaps I could find something, but there's really nothing out there in a good trilam that isn't 10+ years old... and that's older than I want to spend on.

I found two options for new suits, however, on a closeout deal on some 2006 stock now that the 2007 suits are coming out:

Bare Trilam HD in a Large-Tall which they will add 2" to for free then it should fit great.
Comes with 2 bellows pockets, rings + dry gloves (I'm happy with wet gloves, but it's free) and a free undergarment (that I don't need): $1,450

~ OR ~

DUI clx450 in a stock Large (which should fit me based on the rentals I tried on)
Comes with wrist and neck zip seals
2 bellows pockets, and a free undergarment (that I don't need)
for: $1,795

Both are brand new suits with warranty, etc.

Is the DUI worth the extra dough? I kinda think yes, based on resale value and the fact that in the long run, it's really not that much more costly, and zip seals are a tremendous option. But I'm not certain, so I thought I'd ask others for their opinions.

What's wrong with the current suit? Not a great fit? I keep toying with the idea of upgrading my suit as well (mainly to get to a front zip, not b/c I worry about needing help, but b/c of limited flexibility in my current rear zip). The more I dive it, however, the more I think I'll just stay with it for a few years. Bought it lightly used for a good price. Just don't think a new suit is going to offer me that much more, esp given the price. Both of the suits you list are nice (my buddy dives the Bare and is quite happy). Don't underestimate dry gloves, either. That said, the DUI isn't that much more, and probably will keep it's price better. Good luck.

My current a bottom of the barrel USIA Aqualite. Bilam, rear-entry, no extras whatsoever. XL, which fits me length-wise, but due to my slender stature (not if I keep eating like this!) it's really baggy on me, moreso than most trilam suits normally are and far moreso than the DUI rental I tried on. No extras: No suspenders. This is a big one, because there is no way to take the suit half off and wear it around my waist on SI's unless I wear a belt (usually my weight belt since it's the only one handy). The back zipper I can live with, but I'd like to have the option of getting out without help. Also, no pockets. This is driving me nuts as well, since I dive a bp/w and don't have built-in pockets. Adding pockets (or suspenders) costs WAY more than I'm willing to put into a "starter" suit that I want to upgrade out of anyway. And finally, the exhaust is high profile, and it's a PITA to get through my Hog harness.

Dry gloves are interesting, I suppose, but oddly enough my hands just don't get cold, even when I dive dry (or wet) with 3mm insta-dry gloves.

All of these features (or lack thereof) I can live with, because hey, I was able to afford the suit, so I'm diving dry, and that rocks! But there are a lot of small things that are bugging me about the suit that aren't easily (or cheaply) able to be fixed. And prices are going up in 2007 and I'm wondering if I should jump on these deals while I can, because I know I'm going to want to upgrade at some point in the not-too-distant future.

CompuDude:
My current a bottom of the barrel USIA Aqualite. Bilam, rear-entry, no extras whatsoever. XL, which fits me length-wise, but due to my slender stature (not if I keep eating like this!) it's really baggy on me, moreso than most trilam suits normally are and far moreso than the DUI rental I tried on. No extras: No suspenders. This is a big one, because there is no way to take the suit half off and wear it around my waist on SI's unless I wear a belt (usually my weight belt since it's the only one handy). The back zipper I can live with, but I'd like to have the option of getting out without help. Also, no pockets. This is driving me nuts as well, since I dive a bp/w and don't have built-in pockets. Adding pockets (or suspenders) costs WAY more than I'm willing to put into a "starter" suit that I want to upgrade out of anyway. And finally, the exhaust is high profile, and it's a PITA to get through my Hog harness.

Dry gloves are interesting, I suppose, but oddly enough my hands just don't get cold, even when I dive dry (or wet) with 3mm insta-dry gloves.

All of these features (or lack thereof) I can live with, because hey, I was able to afford the suit, so I'm diving dry, and that rocks! But there are a lot of small things that are bugging me about the suit that aren't easily (or cheaply) able to be fixed. And prices are going up in 2007 and I'm wondering if I should jump on these deals while I can, because I know I'm going to want to upgrade at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Yeah, sounds like you might want to upgrade. That said, you know Phil has pockets for cheap right now. Also, do you have D-rings (or the eqv) in your suit for suspenders? My Bare had them and I was able to make very nice suspenders for $3. Yup, $3. Together with some $21 pockets, might be a good temp fix.

I have some bellows pockets, actually (not as nice as Phil's but I had them randomly laying around, long story), but having seen what happens to aquasealed/cemented pockets (that aren't sewn in for $$$) in short order, I'm not sure I want to go that route, esp. if I'll just turn around and sell the drysuit shortly after. No rings for suspenders, so it's a $60 fix plus S&H plus downtime. Again, not worth it to me considering the fit issue that can't be fixed no matter what (short of enormous amounts of fast food, I suppose) and the other little niggling things about the suit.

Again, it's a solid suit and I'd have no hesitation selling it to a friend, but for me, it's starting to not work as much as it works, if you get my meaning.

Well,

I just ordered a USIA Techniflex. A custom cut suit is an extra $100 over stock sizing. So for the price you'd pay for a stock DUI TLS350, you could have a fully custom, brand new suit.

It was a VERY easy choice for me.

PerroneFord:
Well,

I just ordered a USIA Techniflex. A custom cut suit is an extra $100 over stock sizing. So for the price you'd pay for a stock DUI TLS350, you could have a fully custom, brand new suit.

It was a VERY easy choice for me.
I'll have to look into the Techniflex and see how it prices out. The stock DUI size L fits me perfectly, however, so I'm not sure I need custom. If they're the same price for the same basic critical must-have features (pockets, etc), USIA is going to be a tough sell over DUI. I know they make good suits (I dive one now, and consider it good, understanding that it's low end... and I've seen many of their suits on others), but they don't have the name, they don't have the resale... and they don't have the zip seals.

Well,

The stock, bare bones TLS350 is $1899. I will be adding two Halcyon pockets, a balanced P-Valve, a custom cut suit, and my own set of boots, and I still won't approach that price.

In my case, I wasn't really worried about the name, I don't have any plans on re-selling my suit, and I don't care for zip-seals. If these things are important to you, then the DUI is probably going to be your best bet.

Unfotunately, no one's stock size, that I could find, would fit me. So the TLS350 was going to be $2650+. You're lucky that you fit something....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom