Dive Skin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do the dive skins that advertise to be as warm as a 2 mil wetsuit actually work as advertised. I would like to get one to wear under a 3 mil for extra warmth.

which skins are those?

If this is something like Darlexx or other lycra with a waterproof membrane thing - alot of the warmth would come from slowing water transfer not so much by insulating. And if your 3mm suit it fits well it would also slow water transfer. So even if a skin is as warm as 2mm by itself, combining it with a 3mm suit likely doesn't add up to "5" - you're not stopping water transfer twice.

I just got a Tilos skin, looks and feels like a 1mm that they say is as warm as a 2 or 3mm suit. Plan to use it it Roatan instead of taking my 3mm Mares in a few months. So I guess we will see. In Oct I was in Bonaire and only wore a lycra skin the whole week. Hoping the temp in Roatan will be the same. Does anyone else have this suit and is what they say true??

I have heard that said of Aeroskins (Polyolephin?) Like a few mm of neoprene without the buoyancy adder.

As for lycra, spandex and any other fabric they have no inslulating capacity when wet. The most it can hope to do is tighten up an ill fitting loose suit. When worn under a correctly fitted suit it provides a path for water movement. Their biggest fans seem to be divers with poor suit donning techniques or ill fitting(tight) suits.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom