Dry Suit Inflator Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crlavoie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I realize that they are pretty generic but are there any opinions out there on dry suit inflator hoses? Are there any brands that are better or worse than others?

I ask because I'm on my second Bare hose. Not sure who makes it for them (Sitech maybe) and I'm not real happy with it. My first one blew out because of a bad crimping job at the fitting. Fortunately it happened on the boat as it would have resulted in an LP leak. In addition, both hoses have been a PITA to operate at the surface and near impossible in the water with 5 mil gloves. Even my buddy had a tough time reconnecting it when it blew off during a descent.

Any thoughts?

Go to "Tech Diving Limited" and get a standard low pressure inflator hose (call them on the phone to verify that the fitting is one that will fit your suit) and get a hose hat. That should be the end of your ordeal. Get the length you like and go diving.

The hose hat is worth every penny and Joel's prices for hoses are usually really good.

Mark Vlahos

I do agree with making the connection being a pain but I think that is for most.

Deep Sea Supply also sells the hose hat. Actually I think Tobin makes them for TDL. I put them on mine after forgetting to attach the suit hose and I couldn't get it on.

If you are going to use the Bare hose with the hat just CUT the tabs off. Don't break them off or it might break all the way through.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not sure it will work. The Scitech valve seems to have a fairly tight clearance so a bigger circumference might interfere. Have you done this on a Bare / Scitech valve? I will check either way.

Anyone else?

crlavoie:
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not sure it will work. The Scitech valve seems to have a fairly tight clearance so a bigger circumference might interfere. Have you done this on a Bare / Scitech valve? I will check either way.

Anyone else?

I assume that you are talking about the hose hat. If you look closely one side of the hose hat is almost flat. If that is not enough you could trim it with a pair of scissors, or sand it down with some sand paper.

Mark Vlahos

I have read that LP inflator hoses intended for drysuits often have an orifice to limit maximum throughput (much the same way as HP hoses, if not to such an extreme extent). The stated reason was that, in the event of an inflator free-flow, you don't blow up like a balloon quite as quickly, giving you somewhat more time to disconnect the hose. A standard LP inflator hose wouldn't have that. (Of course, discuss amongst yourselves whether it is necessary, and why. Is it true that you can dump air from a BC much faster?)

Anyway. The LP hose that came with my Bare drysuit from ScubaToys has a built-in metal "hose hat" (basically, a flange in the shape of a cylinder with the material intersecting a torus removed... also known as the approximate shape of the Atari logo spun about the central axis). It's quite nice, indeed.

I bought my hose and hose hat from TechDivingLimited. Has worked just fine for the past 4 months. Never even gave it a thought until this post... which I suppose is a pretty strong recommendation.

Here is something to also look at. My Bare drysuit inflator hose connection popped off on me twice. The first time at about 60 feet and I got it back on before I got pinched. The second time was a 20 foot quarry dive so I didn't notice right away.

Hovered there for a few minutes and could not get the dang thing on. Finally buddy got it on.

Here is the problem: Look at the end of the male fitting on your suit. Mine was machined at a flat profile no bevel to allow the retaining bearings to easily slide on and make a positive connection. I carefully filed the bevel on the end of the male fitting and the hose fits great now with no problem!

I also do not use that plastic wing hose from Bare. I use a LP inflator hose from my old BC that has a big easy grip snap

Point taken! I haven't had any problems to speak of, but my suit is relatively new. It is a bit of a PITA going on with that plastic wing. I can see that it would be a problem with gloves on. I'm going to replace the hose just in case.

Thanks for the info.

~Steve~

GottaDive:
Point taken! I haven't had any problems to speak of, but my suit is relatively new. It is a bit of a PITA going on with that plastic wing. I can see that it would be a problem with gloves on. I'm going to replace the hose just in case.

Thanks for the info.

~Steve~
Why replace the hose instead cut the wings and put a hat on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom