Thinking about a new drysuit (and I'm tall and skinny)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm starting to consider getting a new drysuit sometime this year. I need something that will fit my frame well (6'3", about 185#). Right now I'm diving with a used TLS350 shoulder entry model I bought used from a friend. It's the XL size and fits fine, but obviously is baggier than it needs to be. The local dive shop sells Bare and DUI suits. I think they are also authorized to sell USIA stuff, but I've never seen USIA suits there. I'm sure they'd order one for me if I asked though.

Right now I'm sort of leaning towards the Bare XCD2 Pro or the Bare Trilam HD. I've seen mixed things on whether the MLT size bare sells will fit. I pretty much fit all of the dimensions for that size on their sizing chart, except I'm 1" taller than their max height of 6'2". I currently have a MLT Bare Hi-Lift which fits perfectly, as well as a 3/2 bare Velocity that is MLT, and it also fits well. It seems like the XCD2 pro might be a better fit as it should have some stretch in the material, correct?

I also like what I've been reading about the USIA Techniflex, and like that USIA offers custom suits... how much $$ do these generally run? On their custom order form, they have options for a Baggy suit fit and a Fitted suit fit. Would the fitted option work over my current undergarment?

I'll have more questions later...

I have a Bare HD Trilam and love it. Compudude was looking at Bare and found someplace what was willing to add a couple inches to a suit fairly cheap. I think it was Divetank but not sure. Might PM him.

According to DUI's size chart you would need a custom suit.

Call Richard over at DiveTank.com. He's got some good deals right now, especially on the Bare's. He can customize a Bare Large-Tall to add a couple inches to make it perfect for you. DiveTank is something like the biggest reseller of Bare suits... period. So he probably has a clue about fitting them. They also have an outstanding rep here on ScubaBoard.

We're the exact same height and weight. Wait... I think I already posted to you in another thread re Bare sizing, actually...

Yes, you did!

Gonna try out a friends old CF200 this weekend. I think it's an XL but I'm not sure. It seems to fit pretty well though. It's from 1994!! but it looks to be in great shape. I just had to wax the zipper. Will I need to add more weight over what I use for my TLS350? How much would a 13 year old CF200 be worth anyway?

I'm 6' 2.5" and 185lbs and my TLS350 fits perfectly.

I had a Bare MLT and it was not "T" enough.

Odd, because on paper the Bare should have fit perfectly, and didn't; the DUI should not fit, but it does.

Go figure.

Im 6'6" and 175lbs. im tall and skinny too. I dove a DUI tls350 xxl for the height but the waist was too big. But after saving up I got a special production CLX450. Dui can sure make a custom suit. It fits so nice that with a 400 thinsulate undies there is no restriction in movement. For guys like us we have to go custom. I also hurd that Bare 2mm cush suit is nice. Ive seen it at the shows but never bought one.

bdshort:
I'm starting to consider getting a new drysuit sometime this year. I need something that will fit my frame well (6'3", about 185#).

Check out O'Neill MT (for tight fit) or LT (for looser fit): http://oneill.com/company-sizechart.php

They have 7mm drysuit in both sizes and a 3mm compressed neoprene suit in the LT size. You can sometimes find great deals on their used suits on ebay.

I think just to be safe I'll probably go with a custom suit, unless I can actually try a Bare on. For DUI that means $$$ (I think I want to go a scale above the TLS350)... how much are USIAs custom suits (I like the techniflex).

The shop where I ordered my techniflex quoted $1333 for a stock techniflex with one pocket, the exotherm 2 thermals and a suit bag. Custom sizing was $50-$110 extra depending on how many alterations on the stock size you needed. Of course P-valve, all-terrain boots, a second pocket etc. are extra.

There's no USIA dealers in my area so I had to do some checking around. The best deal I found was from a shop in Illinois. http://www.goforadventure.com

I'm not affiliated but Jeff's customer service was great so there's a plug for him. :)

I talked with my LDS today... she's a USIA dealer but doesn't carry their drysuits because she said she doesn't care for the material. I know the Techniflex is pretty new so I don't know if she's seen that one or not. Something about not liking coated material. But she can order one for me if I decide to go that route.

Most of the suits they sell are DUI or Bare. I didn't realize it, but she said Bare will do custom fitting too. They also are a Whites dealer, but like USIA, don't have any of their drysuits in stock. So I guess I'll research Whites some too.

I was quoted $2200 for a Signature Series CF200 though. I dove a 13 year old CF200 today and it actually worked really well, except I didn't like the position of the purge valve. I think I'll have one put in the forearm. And it's pretty heavy. I'm not sure if it was a L or XL, but the fit seemed pretty good.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom