Scallop Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just wondering when does scallop season open in newfoundland, and where can i get a licence. thanks

If I'm not mistaken, I believe one can purchase a license through Dept. Motor Vehicle Registration. Although, that does sound strange, it's what I was told...you should really check this out before standing in line for 3 hrs., though. :)
If not, I'm sure DFO sells them.
Oh, and I think it's during the summer/fall months for in-season. Again, speaking through my rear-end here.

Ok I'm new to this but where do I start to look for them? I don't want to steal anyone's honey hole but in general what kind of area or bottom or depth do I look for them at? Thanks!

I would venture to say that with the water temp here, and the water temp where you are diving, plus the variation in bottom environment, there may be a substantial difference as to where you'll find scallops (from where we're used to). I'd say that Brand0n could answer your questions with greater certainty, though.
TBH, in most of my diving, I've only found the shells...the leftovers from the lucky ones that came before me. :)

Are you gonna be diving on the east coast of newfoundland? i know spots on the west coast/Bay of islands

I have not done alot of scallop diving but in the places i have found them were on a mostly sandy bottom in about 30-40 feet of water.

I usually spend a month or so with my grandparents on Bell Island in the summer and a few weeks again around Christmas. I usually do shore and boat diving around the Conception Bay area. This summer I'd like to do some scallop diving around there but I know some folks out in the Lark Harbour area too so I'd also like to get a few dives in around there also. I was talking to some divers a few years back waiting for the ferry and they said Portugal Cove holds a few scallops so I may try there, who knows. We snorkel for bay scallops around here but they are tiny and you have to collect 50 or so to get a snack!

Yeah, sorry Reel Crazy, I thought you were asking about "down there" where you are now. Shouldn't have much problem finding scallops when you come up, though. I'm sure you'll be speaking to divers who know all the good spots. ;-)
And, like Brand0n said, I too have seen them at ~ 30-40 fsw, on sandy bottom. Where I live and dive, that's just about anywhere.

Hey if you head to Lark harbour area give me a shout ill be up for a dive, im in nova scotia now but working on getting dive work back on the rock.

Sure, I'm always up for a dive or two. I'll probably stop by Lark Harbour some time in July or August. I'll shoot you a PM some time around then. Ugh, why so far off!

Hi Brandon,
I dive in the Bay of Islands and White Bay mostly. Yes there are scallops... the areas with easy access are usually cleaned out. But there are a few places............

If you are in this area looking for a dive drop me a line. I haven't tried Miranda Cove (near Bottle Cove) and I intend to explore that area soon. A couple of us are planning to get a dive on the Acona in the Bay of Islands next summer. There are a few spots in Bonne Bay I am eager to explore.

I need to create a list of divers in this area and try to organize some activities.

The scallop lisence is available from and DFO office for $5 plus tax. I think the season runs all year long... but give the lobster fisherman some distance in June... they think we steal lobsters from their traps.

Trevor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom