Pressure gauge problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has a three guage consol with a depth gauge. We took the depth gauge out to see how a new computer would fit and if we needed a shim. When i tried to put it back in i twisted it a little and the back came unscrewed a little causing the liquid to leak out. I dont know if it was loose in the first place. Not all the liquid leaked out, i was able to quickly tighten the back. Is it wrecked? what can i do about it?

It may be repairable, but probably not worth it.

You crafty devil. You really just wanted to get her that computer.

awap:
It may be repairable, but probably not worth it.

You crafty devil. You really just wanted to get her that computer.

I just wanted to have it around as a back up mainly. As far as getting the new computer consol we got the new one friday and installed in on her regs and i was going to put the old one back together and put it in the closet then this happened.

scubaaaronh:
I just wanted to have it around as a back up mainly. As far as getting the new computer consol we got the new one friday and installed in on her regs and i was going to put the old one back together and put it in the closet then this happened.
Take it into an Authorized Rep and get and RMA number. It should be covered under warranty as long as it is under 2 years old.

I'm sure that this will get marked as "liability issue", "not authorized to repair", or "support your local dive shop":

I recently put together a nice dive package for myself with new regs, bc, wrist computer, accessories, etc. and a console consisting of a 12 year old Sherwood SPG, The Source, and a compass which I had to throw away (no more used eBay crap for me....) Everything works fine, but recently had bubbles on this guage (corrosion in my HP spool) exactly like this article: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/hpspool.asp

I took it apart, carefully cleaned, matched new o-rings, assembled, tested, and the leaks vanished! Yea! I'm very proud of myself, and now I know more about my own equipment.

But I can see how the $3 HP spool could desinigrate and ruin a dive. So, "I'd like to purchase a spare spool to add to my kit." The canned dive shop response is: "That part can only be sold to a certified repair technician."

So, I sit here grumbling about the fact that I can replace o-rings all day, but not this part. I havn't asked any other dive shop. I know that it's an easy repair (I did it!) and my local shop could do it for me (support your LDS), but I just wanted to have a spare spool just in case--in case they don't make this part anymore. (grumble, gripe, moan.) Fine, I'll just buy a new guage, and dump this one back on eBay!

What do you guys think?

If you go to a LDS and can't get a spool, go to a shop that will sell you one. I get them with no problem. Most of the time the spool is OK but the O-rings are at fault.
Buy some off the internet.

Glad you liked my article! No problem buying a spool... There are 2 different ones - one's with "shoulders" in the middle, and ones without. (The one in the pictures in the article is without).

If you need one, just give us a call and we'll get you set up! I'm at home - so I guessing off the top of my head - but I think they are probably around 3 bucks. Maybe less.

Back
Top Bottom