Bare and Henderson questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for a wetsuit for cold water:

Bare Velocity 7/6
Bare Artic 7 with or without a hood (I have a 5 hood already, but think the built in hood would be warmer)
Henderson thermoprene 7

Those are the choices I have found in the money I am willing so spend.

I don't know about the Henderson. I do not see thermoprene on their website, is it old or new?

Any opinion on the bare product? My calves are too thick for akona.

I'm big on the Bare line, especially when you look at the value proposition.

I dive the Arctic. With a hood I believe you are thinking of the Alpine.

If you want to get the most out of the suit get a hooded vest to go with it. The 3mm chicken vest is what I dive all summer in Maine. In swing seasons I go to the 7mm hooded step-in shorty. Where you are the 5mm hooded step-in shorty may be just the ticket.

Adding a hooded vest virtually removes the neck opening as a leakage point and mutes any cold water coming through the back zipper. For under $100 any one of these are great additions.

I dive a 5/4 Velocity as well and that is a very nice suit as I'm sure the new 7/6 mm version is. The Velocity will be a little more comfortable with more stretch however I don't feel constrained at all in the Arctic so for the money I'd take the Arctic and be cozy. The same vest suggestions apply here.

As always fit rules.

Pete

i have the 7/6 velocity and love it. It has served me well in water down to 45 degrees. I also have the hooded 7 mm vest for it. for the colder water dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom