Drysuit w/ Wetsuit Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there any problem with wearing wetsuit boots over stockingfoot drysuits? I don't know what the proper term is-the type suits designed for use with Rockboots.

It seems like a simple way to reduce wear on the drysuit without resorting to boots better suited to mountaineering.

I think you are referring to neoprene socks.

I've never tried it, but I think it might work. There might be an abundance on material, so you might have to get an oversized booty.

Some people use Converse hightops or some other cheap canvas shoe.

I don't see why not as long as they are sized to fit. Dive booties won't offer much protection and support to the bottom of your feet and in a DS you are apt to be weighted a little heavier than when diving wet.

I hear of some diver that wear sneakers as the overshoe.

Pete

I used them for a while because my rock boots would not fit in my fins, later I upgraded fins to turtles and the rock boots fit. I had no issues when wearing my tusa dive boots however.....

Do wet booties offer any less protection than drysuit built-in boots? The ones I've tried on didn't seem to offer any more or less support than a decent wet boot.

FishDiver:
Do wet booties offer any less protection than drysuit built-in boots? The ones I've tried on didn't seem to offer any more or less support than a decent wet boot.

They vary, in general a drysuit boot is sturdier.

I've used wet suit boots a couple of times with rental drysuits that had the "sock"-type feet rather than the built in rubber boots, and they were fine. I do however far prefer the actual rock boots, as I find the soles offer much more protection and ankle support than either typical wet suit boots, or the built in boots on some dry suits. Having said that, entry to our regular dive sites involves climbing down a fairly steep slope of large, sharp boulders, so I appreciate the extra support. For boat or beach entries, wet boots would probably do me fine.

I currently use a pair of Bare 6.5mm Ice boots over my neoprene socks. I have a Bare XCD2. The only problem is the little bit of excess material. But with that said, no real problems.

p1medicshawn:
I currently use a pair of Bare 6.5mm Ice boots over my neoprene socks. I have a Bare XCD2. The only problem is the little bit of excess material. But with that said, no real problems.
This is particularly relevant since I currently own an Arctic and a pair of Ice boots and I plan to buy the XCD2 when the time is right.

Is there a reason you chose the XCD2 with the sock feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom