Just bought suit, how do you get this thing on???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWCWdiver

Reaction score
I just got my Bare HD tech and I love it but I do not see how the heck you can get this thing on. There is no way I can get both arms in and get it over my head. It is a MLT lenghtened 2 inches since I am 6'3" 200lbs. Any adivse on how to get this on???

I put my arms in first and then my head buy pulling the front over my head. very easy, should of came with instructions. try putting your head in first than your arms or just one arm and than your head than your other arm. make you last arm the one with the lowest part = to the zipper.

Go to the store. Buy a twelvepack of Miller Lite and two (2) tubes of personal lube.

For grins, go with your dive buddy and tell the young lady at the register that you're having a party tonight - together... :wink:

Go home. Crack a beer. Put on a pair of gym shorts and some white socks. If the thing has suspenders, roll the top part down inside out until you come to the suspenders. Ensure the suspenders are properly off to each side, or else you may deball yourself suddenly and unexpectedly when you try to stand up. Pull the sucker on like a pair of trou. Finish the rest of the beer and crack another one.

Stand up and work the suspenders over your shoulders, then roll up the trunk of the suit up to your pits. Grab a tube of lube. Better drink the rest of the second beer now or else when your hands are all lubed up you'll drop the damned thing and commit alcohol abuse all over the carpet. Remove your watch and any rings you may be wearing (or other bling). Lube up both your wrists and the backs of your hands. Run your arms down into the sleeves and work your hands gently through the latex seals. Don one at a time for now. Be careful you don't catch anything on the latex seals, they can rip easily. Once you've got both your arms in the sleeves, look up, and hooking your fingers inside the neck seal, gently stretch the neck seal open and pull the seal down over your head. It will feel tight around your neck. It's supposed to. If it bothers you you can get a plastic tube device that runs around your neck that you can fold the neck seal over when you're on the boat, but its more of a PITA to put on that it is to endure the seal. Besides, the seal will relax over time.

If you haven't got enough material to get the neck seal over your melon, try making sure you have the crotch of the suit up into your crotch - give yourself all the material you've got. (This is why the telescoping torso of the DUI suits make them comparatively easier to don...) If you still can't get the damned thing on, then you've purchased the wrong suit. I recommend you consume at least another 3 or 4 beers before you tell your wife that you have to box it up and send it back and then buy another one.....

Any more questions, just ask! :D (Unless you got a P-valve. You'll have to figure that one out on your own... :) )

Best with your new suit...

Doc

Hahaha, that is good advise, but you assume I actually told my wife I bought it... :)

The instructions are not very good, they make it sound very easy. I'll tyr again later...

:rofl3: You may need to cut the seals to size so you don't get carotid reflex if it's to tight in the neck. You think it'd fun to put on wait till you try to take the thing off.

I just did a pool dive with my new Dry suit. I had to trim the neck seals as that cartoid reflex response cant happen until you are able to breathe.

My wrist seals were to tight and hands turned blue and swelled by the end of an hour. Should wrist seals be cut also?

Does the lube work or does it screw up the latex into early failure? Is talc a useful alternate or does it become paste?

The experience was great although dry is not exactly how I would describe the inside of the suit after the beer and heat.
--DP

NWCWdiver:
I just got my Bare HD tech and I love it but I do not see how the heck you can get this thing on. There is no way I can get both arms in and get it over my head. It is a MLT lenghtened 2 inches since I am 6'3" 200lbs. Any adivse on how to get this on???

After you finish the 12-pack, check out my poll: http://www.scubaboard.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1678

diver_pirate:
My wrist seals were to tight and hands turned blue and swelled by the end of an hour. Should wrist seals be cut also? --DP

Only if you want to be able to work your inflator hose...

Yes, cut them, but only 1/4 inch at a time or what ever the manufacture dictates. Many have sizing instructions on their sites that indicate how many rings you should remove based on wrist or neck size. Some folks opt to place an object about the size of your wrist in the sleves and stretch the seals, but I have always cut them. Just be careful, your LDS can assist you or a buddy that has done it before. But do something to solve the blue [-]balls[/-] I mean hands problem.
:monkeydan

diver_pirate:
I just did a pool dive with my new Dry suit. I had to trim the neck seals as that cartoid reflex response cant happen until you are able to breathe.

My wrist seals were to tight and hands turned blue and swelled by the end of an hour. Should wrist seals be cut also?

Does the lube work or does it screw up the latex into early failure? Is talc a useful alternate or does it become paste?

The experience was great although dry is not exactly how I would describe the inside of the suit after the beer and heat.
--DP
The situation is that latex seals will relax over ten dives or so...if you trim them so they are comfortable when the seals are brand new, then the seals may be too loose after they stretch out a bit. On the other hand, obviously if they are cutting off circulation you may need to trim them a bit. If you trim them use very sharp shears and only trim off a tiny ring at a time - don't over do it or you'll buy another set of seals.

I use talc on all the latex seals when storing the suit after drying it, as its being packed up for the next dive. But I use lube when donning it. It hasn't hurt my seals in the years I've been doing it...

Airspeed Press has an excellent book by Lindblom out on drysuits for all your detailed questions:
http://www.airspeedpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom