Is this a good package for a starting diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulD

Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so I'm going to ask some advice on gear. I've looked at a Zeagle Stilleto but didn't like the weight system in it so this is what I'm looking at now.

A ScubaPro BlackHawk BC
ScubaPro Air2
Scubapro MK25/600
Suunto Gekko

Is this going to be a good starting point for me?

Where will you be diving? How often? What are your goals? Lots of questions to consider when you go looking into a set of gear.

A good LDs should discuss all of this with you before making any recommendations.

I'll be diving in Jacksonville to Savannah mostly but will also be diving in the keys and south Florida a few times a year. As far as goals I just want to dive, lobster and shot fish. I'm not in for Tech diving or anything like that. I never plan on going over 120.
We discussed it today and this is what we put together just wanted a few other opinions.

Best advice I can give you is to Shop around to make sure that you're getting what you need and that you know why each piece of equipment is right for you. Don't get too carried away by brand names.

For exam[ple, look at the Atomic SS1 over the SP Air2 - the Atomic has distinct advantages over the Air2.

try out as many your gear and make sure you like it, especially air2. i thought i wanted one until i used my friends BC who had one on it and i hated it! but some do like it, choose what you feel comfortable with.

What don't you like about the Zeagle weight system?

Personally, I think a system that doesn't use expensive pockets and basically just require that you unzip and drop in the weights is an excellent one.

Hey, Paul. Look at the computer reviews that are archived on Scuba and Diver magzines sites. Different brands and models of computer give you different bottom times, particularly on repetitive dives. My buddy uses Suunto, and it is probably the most conservative. A Suunto user will probably be back on the boat first, and feeling very safe. An Aeris user typically will get the most bottom time, so there may be less margin for error.

A lot of dive gear is more alike than different. Computers can be a lot different. My advice.... read up on them.

Regarding the Gekko, let me say that it's a very fine choice for a computer. It does nitrox; air-only computers are a big gamble for a new diver (I've seen several have to upgrade due to that oversight) -- with the Gekko, you avoid that "trap". It's very simple to use, yet not at all incapable. Oh, and the numbers are quite large compared to some, I'm told (not that I need that yet :D). Suunto computers seem to be about the same conservatism as the NAUI tables (judging by the "PLAN" functions), which doesn't bother me in the slightest. You still get far more bottom time than with tables, due to the obvious fact they calculate your actual multi-level dives without the tables' max-depth square profile assumption.

I'm wary of the Air2, as I've seen many divers not handle it well. It's convenient to dive with one except in the case where you actually need to use it, at which point it's rather inconvenient to use. There are those who dive them and love them, but of the small group of people I know who dive them, very few have thought much about actually using one in an air-sharing situation. That's not to say you can't practice with an Air2 and become proficient, but having to breathe off a short hose that's also your BC inflation/deflation is an added complication that you will need to be prepared for. (Also, *please* get a longer hose for your primary second stage reg if you go with an Air2. You don't want to have to ascend in the kising-your-buddy position, even if you really like them. :D)

I'm learning a lot guys thanks for the advice and please keep it coming.

Maven, with the Zeagle it wasn't a "put the weights in issue." It was a if the weights ever come out issue.

Back
Top Bottom