6 cuft Argon bottle users.....info please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrudicel

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking at going to an argon unit for the winter. I really like the looks of the 6cuft bottle either mounted wreck style on the waist like GI does, or mounting to the backplate like Andrew G does. Anyway, I am curious how many dives you can get out of that size bottle assuming you dive with very little air in the suit. Also, I am interested in how many fills I can get out of an Argon bottle doing my fills at home. I know the big bottle is at 2400psi and the 6cuft bottle is rated at 3000, so you never really get a full fill. Thanks in advance for any help and info.....

Depends on how serious the diving your doing is. 6 cu ft may last you 1 dive or more depending on your bouyancy skills and dive profile. I think your question requires you give more info on your expected diving profile.

Also, your 6 cu ft argon bottle isnt going to do u anygood if your not pre purging your suit with argon from a different tank. You really need to get a larger tank which you use to pre purge your suit before the dive or your just really wasting your time and $ adding such a neglegable amount argon to your air filled drysuit.

Andy

I can get 2 dives out of my 6 cubic foot bottle. But, the KEY is the pre-dive purge of the suit.

Eric

Are you thinking about this because you are diving trimix?

If so depending on your drysuit and undergarment you may do fine with air in the "argon bottle". I dive trimix most of the time in water temps down to about 36 degrees for times up to 45 minutes and have always used air in the drysuit inflation bottle. I dive a trilam suit (Andy's DS-3) and an Andy's US 140 (thinsulate & polartec) undergarment and have been quite comfortable with air in the drysuit inflation bottle.

If you add just enough gas to "take the pinch off" you should get several dives out of the bottle.

If going to argon you MUST, as previously stated, purge your drysuit with argon to get any real benefit. Ideally that would be with a separate bottle so make your 6 cuft bottle last longer, only bing used on the dive.

Dave D.

Try filling your inflation bottle with air. There is pretty conclusive (scientific, non-anecdotal) evidence to indicate that using argon while diving on air or EAN does not produce substantial benefit, since the thermal conduction properties of the gases are so similar. Divers diving on trimix can be shown to derive a considerable benefit to using argon instead of the backgas, since the thermal properties of the gases are so dissimilar.

"Well, well," I said to myself. If air and argon have similar insulation values, why not load my inflation bottle with air instead of argon and save a bundle of cash.

Preliminary results this summer have led me to conclude that I may have kicked my argon habit. Let's see what the winter holds.

Steven

I have always inflated my suit with Nitrox or air whatever is back mix, and just sarted diving trimix this fall, wow it is certainly colder even when water is warm. Just curious now that winter is setting in if u r still inflating with air, how is it now that water is colder? Do u use a 6cu/ft bottle? I am thinking I will have to get a small bottle in the spring when diving trimix but now really question wether or not to fill with argon or just air? Anyone else with comments please jump in.

Drew

"Now that the water is colder" is a relative thing. At depth, summer temps in my part of Lake Michigan run around 45F, winter temps around 40F, not a major change.

I've been using air all summer with good results. I've discovered that underwear is more important than gas for warmth and have been just fine. Mostly I'm not diving with an inflation bottle unless I'm on He.

As the top water gets colder I plan to use my 6ft bottle on all my dives to avoid putting a strain on my backgas regulators and to give me a small gas source. I don't like it when regulators and valves freeze up - way too much excitement.

In the argon days I dove with a 6ft bottle on my waist and a 13ft bottle on the boat to use as a purge tank. It's nice having the smaller 6ft bottle underwater, but you'll need more gas than that to do a decent suit purge with and then a dive.

Stay warm!

Steven

Techdiver can I ask why u would go for the 13cu/ft low pressure ove rthe 6cu/ft?

Steve what type of depth r u using the 6cu/ft at I am looking at helium based dives between 150-210 and wondering if it would be enough cu'ft of rthat depth? Sorry I should have mentioned the profiles in my earlier question. Like the idea of using it in winter even if not using helium as to not put strain on the regs good idea. Water is gettting cold here in Canada, will be 32F before long or colder.

The only reason to go for the 13ft -vs- the 6ft is for more gas, so far as I can see. The 13ft is a little bit of a pain, pony mounted in back where it's hard to reach, the 6ft can go on your waist belt buried behind the deco/stage bottles.

The profile is probably as important as the depth, as is your resistance to cold and squeeze. My needs are less important than yours and your results will almost certainly vary, not to answer this part of your question. I will tell you that I started with the 13ft and didn't get a 6ft until I decided I didn't need the bigger bottle for most dives. There's definitely no shame in a 13ft bottle and at 200ft+ who wants to worry about it?

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom