New to freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a child I snorkel a lot and tried to dive.
No I dive SCUBA and once I tried (because no DC) to freedive a little bit, with knowlege zero.
just take 2-3 breath of air and dive. (pretty big fins)
It felt like I can go down to 20 meter so it might be really 10 meter.

Is there any special danger if I take 2-3 quick breath fill my lung as full as I can do somehow and than go down what I can do, but not full to the limit.
Don't want to break the world record just maybe 20 meter or so.

I always did that as child without problems or is there any hidden danger?

besides the obvious danger.... not really.... it is possible to develop dcs over multiple free dives... but unlikely in your range.... just look up some techniques on here and turnarounds, breathing and blackout prevention.

DCS in freedive? Is that possible? Actually I don't breath how Nitrogen should come in my blood in bigger amounts?

it is but rare... even on the surface with regular air your are breathing in about 70n and about 28o and 2random other gasses... after multiple freedives without the proper surface time there is an eventual build up of nitrogen... like i said it is rare and pretty unlikely depending mostly on your body type and health and hydration level but it is still possible according to accident reports i have read.... please correct me if i am wrong(anyone)

Kray_Z:
it is but rare... even on the surface with regular air your are breathing in about 70n and about 28o and 2random other gasses... after multiple freedives without the proper surface time there is an eventual build up of nitrogen... like i said it is rare and pretty unlikely depending mostly on your body type and health and hydration level but it is still possible according to accident reports i have read.... please correct me if i am wrong(anyone)

You are correct about freediving and DCS, but this will only occur if you make many, many, many (did I say "many"?) freedives with short surface intervals. It seems to only show-up in indigenous divers who have to dive to live. I don't think there is a single case of DCS for a recreational freediver ever recorded. Worrying about DCS from freediving is like worrying that a 747 will crash into your house...it always could, but the probability is quite low.

i have heard of divers how have been on trips and the day before the ride home divers are supposed to take off so the don't get the bends on the plane. they went snorkeling and were freediving and got the bends because of this. when you dive down the molecules still change and you breathe more nitrogen in. your heart still beats and still forces it into your muscle tissue, but it is very minor compared to actual diving.

The name of the afliction of Free diver bends is Travana discovered and documented by ER Cross in the 1950s or early 1960s in scientic journnals of that era as well as Skin Diver magazine...

Many cases reported of Free diving bends by deep divers in California in the past 60 years.

Yes it can and does happen..

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom