Compressed Wetsuit ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought a Bare Velocity 5/4 this time last year. I have done over 100 dives with it at an average depth of 10-14 meters. One dive was deeper than 45 meters and about 15 between 20-30 meters.

I have also done a lot of work on my buoyancy and trim. I dropped lead from 22 lbs to 10 lbs with the same gear configuration. This past week I was about to try dropping another lb or two of lead.

After patting myself on the back for my stellar buoyancy skills I also realized that I was getting cold in water temps that were comfortable last year. The 5m suit was good down to 66F; now I start to feel the cold at close to 70F. The suit looks to be in perfect shape, no fading or stretching, etc. A year seems like such a short time but the combination of buoyancy and thermal loss has me thinking the suit is wearing out.

Does neoprene compress noticably after 100 dives?

FYI - and this may be obvious... the pace at which this happens - 100 dives vs 200 vs. ... does depend on the quality of the original neoprene and how the bubbles are created in the manufacturing process etc. (I'm not the engineer, but I know some neoprene bubbles are created by chemicals being added that create gas - think baking soda and vinegar - to create the gas while other processes has the gas blown into it creating a more uniform bubble sze and more even neoprene)

Part of the difference may be the neoprene crushing, but don't ignore other factors.

A new diver will often unconsiously fin upwards or sculling with hands when trying to descend, thereby requiring more weight to descend. Other reasons for new divers needed more weight include the failure to empty all of the air out of the BCD near the end of the dive.

As for getting colder after your first 100 dives, I'll bet that 1) your dives tend to be longer than they first were, and most importantly, 2) you aren't waving arms, thrashing around, and finning hard at a 45 degree angle to maintain depth. The downside to developing a smooth, easy flowing style of diving is that you are using less energy and generating less heat.

Charlie Allen

If you have nothing to lose, you could try fluffing up your wetsuit in the dryer on very low heat, that's what I do.

Consider adding a vest?

Charlie99:
Part of the difference may be the neoprene crushing, but don't ignore other factors.

As for getting colder after your first 100 dives, I'll bet that 1) your dives tend to be longer than they first were, and most importantly, 2) you aren't waving arms, thrashing around, and finning hard at a 45 degree angle to maintain depth. The downside to developing a smooth, easy flowing style of diving is that you are using less energy and generating less heat.

Charlie Allen

This was actually my first thought. I wanted to get some other perspectives before I congratulated myself too much on skill improvements. I believe your two points are accurate.

did you buy the progressive stretch 5/4 just out of curious im in the market for one just wanted your opinion

ecudiver:
did you buy the progressive stretch 5/4 just out of curious im in the market for one just wanted your opinion

I bought mine just a year ago. It was not labeled progressisve stretch but it is very stretchy.

It may be a combination of many things, some mentioned...

The suit is aging and probably lost some bubble integrity. Your dives have not been severe but they will add up.

You may have been doing more sculling and fussing which defeated your weight, making you wear more.

Now that you have settled down you are not doing a lot of heat generating aerobics so your heat reserves are dropping. This can make a huge difference.

The adrenaline of a new diver has worn off and you are beginning to recognize reality.

My 5/4 Velocity has seen mostly skin-dive service so it's not a bellwether.

I bet if you add the 3mm hooded chicken vest you'll be real happy.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom