Dangers while snorkeling in Cuba (Holguin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ansel_Tk1

New
Reaction score
Hello - please excuse if this is not the correct forum...

Last year we went to a resort outside of Holguin, Cuba. I purchased a little snorkeling kit and had an absolute blast exploring the reef that was about around 500 meters from the shore. This was my first time snorkeling and I am sure I was not being safe - going out on my own and once going a little too far out (there was better stuff to see!) into the open water!

I plan to keep it a little safer this year - we are going again in March. My question though is - is there any dangers that my ignorance is going get me in in terms of something swimming out there that might go after my pink fingers? Sharks perhaps?

Any guides or links to the species in that area? I know that could be a tall request...

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm sure there's an abundance of aquatic creatures down there that would love to snack on you for lunch. I would reccomend keeping an eye out for barracudas (don't wear any jewelry or anything metallic) and jellyfish. Those are the two that I watch out for. For some reason, I'm not too worried about the sharks. Hope this helped. Have a great time on your trip!

I'm not so sure I would be afraid of the water as much as I would on land right now.
But if you are planning on a trip, here are a few tips don't touch anything under the water most everything is sharp or will hurt you. Don't wear anything that make you look like a lure in the water. Don't go to far out and try to find buddy to go with you.
You should buy a skin at least to protect you from jelly fish, and last be safe always look around you and behind you if you are alone.....
They have alot of sharks over their.

you really shouldn't snorkel alone .... take a friend with ya

also, don't go out too far ... if you encounter a problem, how are you going to make it back safely?

i wouldn't worry about aquatic creatures too much

... sharks aren't all that interested in you

barracudas are, but they are curious as dogs and pretty much harmless except in bad vis if they mistake a bit of you for a fish

jellyfish could put you in some pain .... just keep an eye out for them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom