Montego Bay - Need advice for cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm going to be in Montego Bay for only part of a day in December and would like to get a dive or two. Since I'm on a cruise ship, I have limited time. I don't particularly want to do the cruise ship "dive excursion". Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there a local dive operator who can accommodate me? The scheduled docking time is 9:00 AM, which is just about when most morning dives are scheduled. BTW, I'm a relatively new diver and this will be my first SW dive. Thanks!

HI.
Welcome to scuba and scuba board. Since your ship docks at 9 AM most of the morning boats will have left at 8:30. You could hop on an afternoon boat if you will be in port that long. But I doubt you will be.
Be very up front, and honest. Talk to the ship's shore excursion desk. Find out if it sounds like a good set for you to stay with the ship's choice. It's not as bad as you seem to think it is.

Thanks for the input! I just got back Sunday. I ended up going on the cruise ship's excursion dive in order to make another excursion with my wife (non-diver) later in the day. These were my 3rd and 4th SW dives (1st and 2nd were in Jamaica).

Being a newbie, the dives were a big deal. Also, we saw an eagle ray do a beautiful leap out of the water from about 40 feet away. Very awesome.

I also dove in Cozumel using Dive with Martin the next day. Much better dive, since we went to 75' and I had acquired a little discipline with my breathing.

I bet you go back to Cozumel!

Back
Top Bottom