Joining the dark side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its All about the U

Registered
Reaction score
Ok = Ive decided to go dry, I have two dive trips next month in a rental and then most likely will go for custom made suit- I am 6-4 w/ size 14 shoe- my dive shop is a Whites distributor- thats what they are pushing obviously- the nexus package is 1400 plus another 150 or so to have it custom made, need to add a new set of fins to fit the shoe- any thoughts on whites versus another brand and the price ? Also any guarantees that I am making the right choice about going dry would be appreciated- I have to justify the purchase to the Boss- ( my wife)

First off...you're making the right choice going dry. If I remember correctly, you're up in BC. If you plan on seriously diving local, then you're going to eventually dive dry...period. May as well bite the bullet and get into it early..:). The water/ambient temps are too cold not to up here. Sure you CAN dive wet, but it will limit the number of dives (if being cold in the water isn't fun...then being cold the second you put on that wet 7mm neoprene wetsuit for dive #2 or #3 of the day is even less so...) and the quality of dives (get cold, burn more air, don't "see" as much because you're too busy shivering and wondering when this hell is going to end...lol) you wind up with.

All that being said...I've never dove a Whites, but I've heard nothing but good things. Keep us posted and come on down to the US side of things when you get it...we'll take you out diving on the Oregon coast! :)

Cheers,
Austin

A drysuit that fits well is worth the price, take it from someone who spent WAY too much time diving in an ill fitting suit.

Mine is a Viking Xtreme and I really like it. I can put my mask seal over the attached hood and my hair doesn't even get wet, I REALLY like that when the water is cold! BTW, Bob3 here on the board is a Viking dealer. He's always treated me right!
Ber :lilbunny:

Well we are glad to hear you've switched to the dark side!! ....I have to be honest with you though....I'm not convinced that the Nexus is the suit you want....it is cheaper, but in my experience you need to look at a couple things:
1. what kind of diving are you going to be doing.....tech training.....guaranteed you are going to be doing some valve shut down drills, and skills that will require some movement.
2. How many dives are you going to do on the suit, over how many years?

Do you really want an entry level suit for the training you will soon undergo??

I won't lie, I have had tech divers come to us complaining about the nexus.....it is a rock solid suit, but it lacks the flexibility and comfort of a good quality suit..... is built for rental dept., and entry level recreational divers on a budget.

You are making a long term decision and I would hate for you to be unhappy with a $1500 purchase.

might I suggest a Catalyst 360 if you are after a shell suit. If you send me the name of your dive center, I can send them a current price list, and once they get you a price, I would bet you'd be surprised at the difference! WELL worth it.

Happy Diving.
Tyler

Its All about the U:
Ok = Ive decided to go dry, I have two dive trips next month in a rental and then most likely will go for custom made suit- I am 6-4 w/ size 14 shoe- my dive shop is a Whites distributor- thats what they are pushing obviously- the nexus package is 1400 plus another 150 or so to have it custom made, need to add a new set of fins to fit the shoe- any thoughts on whites versus another brand and the price ? Also any guarantees that I am making the right choice about going dry would be appreciated- I have to justify the purchase to the Boss- ( my wife)

In your first thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=178974, it looked like you were quite ambivalent about whether your NC conditions warranted a drysuit.

What factors made you decide to go dry?

If you've concluded that a drysuit's increased suitability for your expected dive conditions is worth three or four times the cost of a wetsuit, then you've probably made the right choice.

However, if it's for reasons not related to actually being warmer (and safer) while diving, then I'd say prepare to be disappointed.

Dave C (Happy as a clam in my DUI CLx450 drysuit.)

DiveJedi:
Well we are glad to hear you've switched to the dark side!! ....I have to be honest with you though....I'm not convinced that the Nexus is the suit you want....it is cheaper, but in my experience you need to look at a couple things:
1. what kind of diving are you going to be doing.....tech training.....guaranteed you are going to be doing some valve shut down drills, and skills that will require some movement.
2. How many dives are you going to do on the suit, over how many years?

Do you really want an entry level suit for the training you will soon undergo??

I won't lie, I have had tech divers come to us complaining about the nexus.....it is a rock solid suit, but it lacks the flexibility and comfort of a good quality suit..... is built for rental dept., and entry level recreational divers on a budget.

You are making a long term decision and I would hate for you to be unhappy with a $1500 purchase.

might I suggest a Catalyst 360 if you are after a shell suit. If you send me the name of your dive center, I can send them a current price list, and once they get you a price, I would bet you'd be surprised at the difference! WELL worth it.

Happy Diving.
Tyler

Well, I have the Nexus and have no complaints (although I'm not too fussy with the Altera boots). I'm an entry level cold water diver with no aspirations for tech. I did just complete two days of ice diving and had no problems or complaints. My son has the Catalyst and is just as happy with his, except for the cuffs. One reason I'm very happy with my Nexus is that I recieved it as a prize donated by Whites - I would be just has happy with the suit if it was all I could afford. We helped out a bit when my son bought his (since mine didn't cost anything), so he decided to go one "better". Thanks a bunch for my suit Whites!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom