Non-diver activities GC/Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be diving GC and Coz on April. What are the best day-time activities (including best lunch, best afternoon bar) for the non-divers in my group?

Rich

If you can tear yourself away from the water, there are a few topside attractions for which you might join your non-diving friends.

Obviously, sending a postacerd from Hell is a must. Hell is near West Bay where the Turtle Farm is located, so combine the two. (Shore diving off the TF)

Off Frank Sound Road, in the middle of the eastern part of the island, is the Olbrich Botanical Gardens. Quite a few iguanas make their homes there, and it can be a nice place for a nature walk.

Also off Frank Sound Road not too far from Olbrich is the Mastic Trail. This is a nice spot to do a morning hike. Be sure to go before the heat of the day is overwhelming.

You can arrange horseback riding, parasailing, sailing, and a variety of other activities. The Yellow Pages are a valuable resource in addition to the tourist guide books.

Unique to Cayman is the opportunity to go on a deep dive in a 2 passenger research submarine. Allegedly, this is the only place in the world where tourists can go on a ride 1000 feet down and check out a part of the ocean you have never seen before and may never see again. Pricey, but worthwhile.

For afternoon bars, you need to choose a location for meditatively watching the sea. I'd choose My Bar at Sunset House as a nice spot. (Bonus: easy, nice shore dive location)

For lunch, you can go the complete tourist route and eat at the Hard Rock Cafe which overlooks Georgetown Harbor.

Locals take in The Naked Fish at the Seaview Hotel which offers excellent eats for a reasonable price at lunch. Superb chili brimming with chunks of beef, Mahi tacos, or daily specials like grilled wahoo. Delicious! (Again, bonus: shore diving on-site)

Out in Breakers, the Lighthouse offers a nice lunch special at decent prices. The chefs offer creative Italian and Caribbean fare. The setting is beautiful, with seating on the pier with the Caribbean Sea washing beneath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom