For under those drygloves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
have you tried them? I'm using a pair of microfleece gloves with a cheap pair of thin fleece gloves on top. Both one layer fleece. After an hour in 45 deg. water my fingers are still getting cold. These might be worth a shot though.

mikerault:

Those look good, but I wonder if they're worth the $30.

There are some inexpensive liners out there that work great.

I've been getting great warmth by combining a light liner and a heavy liner in an oversized dryglove (SI TECH allows different sized PVC gloves to be installed on their rings).

At a commercial fishing retail store, for $1.12 per pair, I found some light, polypropylene knit liners that fit nicely and don't crush down like fleece might.

Here's something similar from an online supplier for about $3 a pair.

http://www.gemplers.com/item/F4828.html

Combined with the original heavier polypropylene liners that came with my SI TECH drygloves, they keep my hands warm for close to two hours in real cold water (in the 30's).

SeaMar (Seattle Marine) is selling those heavier liners separately now for $6 a pair.

http://tinyurl.com/23jay5

Doubled liners and a roomy fit work well for me.

Also, since the prices are so low, it's easy to justify getting some spares to keep handy.

Dave C

I use the thin, cheap polypro liners only under my SI-TECH/Atlas gloves. I tried the stock yellow liners once and put them away. This works well for me, though I'm a newbie air hog and my dives are only about 30 minutes in 46-50F water.

I found that I enjoy thin liners and tighter gloves more than a bulkier combo that would be warmer. I really want the finger dexterity. The nice thing about the SI TECH system is you can experiment with different liner/glove combinations for not much money.

bcsean:
After an hour in 45 deg. water my fingers are still getting cold. These might be worth a shot though.

Are you adding air into your gloves? If not, that might help a lot. Many of us use string, caveline, straws, etc. to hold the latex wrist seal away from our skin to let air in the glove. Then in case of a glove flood, the caveline, etc, can be removed.

I'm not a big fan of UA anymore. It might be good for wicking, but I don't think it does crapola for keeping you warm. There are many other fabrics and materials that can do both.

I was looking into these...
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005133920109a.shtml

Matt S.:
I use the thin, cheap polypro liners only under my SI-TECH/Atlas gloves. I tried the stock yellow liners once and put them away. This works well for me, though I'm a newbie air hog and my dives are only about 30 minutes in 46-50F water.

I found that I enjoy thin liners and tighter gloves more than a bulkier combo that would be warmer. I really want the finger dexterity. The nice thing about the SI TECH system is you can experiment with different liner/glove combinations for not much money.

You're right about the versatility of the SI TECH system!

Sounds like you've been using the Atlas 660 PVC gloves, with thinner fingers than the original glove (Atlas 495) that came with the SI TECH system.

For warmer water, I use them, too.

It's nice to be able to get a variety of different sized gloves for $6 a pair, isn't it? :)

Dave C

I think I am using 620's. If there is something thinner I will have to give it a try!

Matt S.:
I think I am using 620's. If there is something thinner I will have to give it a try!
You could try sticking some of those latex dish gloves on your rings. I think it would work, besides, what's the worst that could happen? :D

Matt_S:

I probably misspoke.

I think your 620's are about the thinnest, most supple reinforced PVC glove available, that is, with cloth reinforcement inside.

Next step would be non-reinforced PVC or latex.

When I mentioned the "thinner fingers" of the Atlas 660 compared to Atlas 495, I was referring to fit, not material thickness.

You probably already know much of the following, but FWIW, SI TECH's original glove is branded as Showa, but it's the same as the Atlas 495.

The 495 has a more roomy fit to allow for the liner.

The 660 and 620, and any of the others designed by Atlas to be used without liners, have narrower fingers.

Also, as you've probably found out, the sizing is such that XXL in the 660 (and probably the 620) will be slightly smaller than the L of the 495.

I might try the 620's like you're using, because they're apparently made of thinner PVC and are described as being similar to latex in suppleness.

Still, even with my doubled liners and oversized outer gloves, I find I can work all my camera buttons in cold water. I'd describe the dexterity as significantly better than 7mm neoprene.

In warmer water, with your light liner and supple 620's, you must have some excellent dexterity! Probably could take apart your second stage and rebuild it underwater, right? :)

One of my concerns is cutting the glove on the sharp stuff in the marine environment, so I've been pretty happy with the durability of the heavier 660 (and 495). For my lake diving, the 620's would probably be excellent. I'm glad you mentioned them.

For anyone who wants more info, here's SeaMar's page describing their Atlas PVC gloves.

http://tinyurl.com/23bqo6

I think my local fisherman's supply house had some 620's along with the 660's, so I'll take another look sometime. Their price is $6 a pair retail, which is good compared to SeaMar's price for the 620's, which is $3.33 plus S&H.

do_it_easy:
You could try sticking some of those latex dish gloves on your rings. I think it would work, besides, what's the worst that could happen?
04.gif

I've looked into that, but just couldn't find a dish glove large enough to go over my thin liners without being tight, something I really try to avoid, since my fingers get cold easily, especially when contricted.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom