Newbie Looking at Aeris XR-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have just started my open water certification program and what some advice on an inexpensive dive computer.

Can someone who has an Aeris XR-1 computer please let me know your experience with it?

Thanks,
Doug

I have the XR-2 - same computer, just with enriched air capabilties and 24 logged dives vs. the 12 in the XR-1. If you can afford the difference, go for the XR-2. You many not think you need or want those addtional features, but as you do more you might find you using them - I did.

It was recommended to me as a good all around entry level computer. It has all the basic functions and is very easy to use.

Not sure how much diving you will get into, but if you think for 1 minute that you might want to dive nitrox in the future, I would spend the extra money for a computer that is nitrox compatible. Its better to spend the money now and not have to worry about selling your air computer later to get a nitrox one. I dive with the Atmos 2, and it is a great computer. I have heard alot of good things about the XR2, but I havent had the chance to check one out yet. You can find the Atmos 2 on ebay for around $250 or so. Good luck with your open water cert., and have fun blowing lots of bubbles.

Kyle

I agree. I would do my best to get into an XR2 as you will probably quickly outgrow the XR1 and have to but again. I am an Aeris dealer. If I can help you out with any of the aeris products let me know. I will do what I can to ge the price where you need it to be.

Brent

Also aeris offers a program where enrolled students get a discount on certain computers...I or your local shop may be able to help going that route.

Brent

I agree with the above posters. One of my computers is an XR-2, and if you can afford it, I would definitely spend the money on a nitrox-capable one.

Or you can look at it another way. Buy the cheap computer now. It will do the trick initially. This will free up more money for regulator, bc, etc. When you are ready to move to nitrox, or just want to upgrade, you will be ready to buy what you like.

Agreed! I have an XR2 and when I got it wasn't planning on diving Enriched. I am glad I spent a little extra because I love diving with Enriched now!
Also agreeing with the above post! If Nitrox isn't something you think you will dive with for a few years then go with the XR1 for now. THe computer system is the same so if you decided down the road that you want to upgrade your air to an Enriched blend you'll already be confortable with the type of computer and hopefully some of its functions. Then when you are ready to dive with enriched, you'll have a few extra $ in your pocket for a new computer.
If I were in your shoes (even from the stand point of starving student - only 3 more years to Phd yes!) I would go with the XR2. That way you already have a computer that is usable with an enriched blend. Keep in mind that even if you don't plan on diving Enriched right away, the computer still works for regular air and it can't hurt to have the added Enriched setting already on your computer. I would say it is better to have it and not use it right away then buy one computer modle and outgrow it a few months down the road and then have to pay for an entire new computer just so you can use an Enriched blend.
In the mean time, good luck gear hunting!
Let us know what you decided on and how diving is going!
All the best
AP

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. Ordinarily, I wouldn't hesitate to spend with future intentions in mind. However, I am buying for two -- my son and myself. So those extra dollars are doubled! The possibility of going enriched in the future is pretty good, so I will take that into serious consideration.

Thanks again!
-Doug

All that being said, the XR-1 is a good air-only computer. The only difference I know of between the XR-2 and the XR-1 is the nitrox capability.

Let us know what you do end up deciding to get :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom