Line use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadent

Reaction score
From what I have read on other posts in this forum, most wreck divers use reels and line when penetrating wrecks.

Reading the book "The Last Dive", the author wrote that the divers who used reels in wreck penetration were frowned upon by other divers at the time. Given their cave training, they felt that using the lines were essential to their safety in the wrecks. Does this controversy about line use still exist or is the general consensus to use reels inside wrecks? What do the training agencies teach?

on a line that is tied up outside of the wreck and then inside the first entrance as well. You should be trained in their use before trying this out. Check out Wreckmania II for some further "edumacation" if you want to do this.

We always used a line, 3/16" poly was out favorite, tho sometines we'd run 1/4" & even 3/8". That nylon cave line is what we used for kite string.
Poly tends to float, nylon sinks. In a silt out you'd have some idea where to start groping for the line w/o stirring more crap up.
"Frowned on" for using a line? I'd rather be alive.

on another note,
How come ya never see the typos 'till a milisecond after ya whack the enter button?:bonk:

This is right out of the Padi Wreck Training book. Penetration line and appropriat reel. Recommended for training: Heavy-duty beginner's line to resist cutting on sharp objects or abrasion,.6 centimetres/.25 inch thick or thicker to enable students to grasp it easily.

It is also recommended that you have a more compact standby wreck reel with finer line as a backup, and to show students other line/reel systems they may elect to use. I hope this works for you.
Red sullivan

Scubadent once bubbled...
From what I have read on other posts in this forum, most wreck divers use reels and line when penetrating wrecks.

Some divers do still use progressive penetration ( becoming completly familiar with a small part of the wreck before venturing further in on successive dives. With no line). Personally, I never enter a wreck without a line and reel and never will. And I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The thought of progressive penetration turns my blood to ice water (salt ice water of course). That some people still do it is true, but there's really no reason not to run a line. If you're properly trained in it's use, the risk of entanglement is minimal, and it's nice to feel that line in your hand when everything has gone black in a silt-out.

As for the line chafing through, a heavier than cave line should be used, and checked for chafed spots after your dive.

See you on the bottom,
Al.

Progressive penetration is primarily a NE tactic. Yes, people still do it. I do it myself under certain conditions, but in my opinion line penetrations are generally preffered.

Lines can be a problem if you don't use them correctly. You should tie off inside the wreck, within the "twilight zone" (where you can clearly see, preferably reach, the openning). The reason I don't suggest tying off outside is that you invite less itelligent divers to follow you in. There's nothing quite like turning your dive and finding some bozo has followed you in and silted up the exit :)

Lines should be secured every so often, particularly at turns or obstacles. Lines should be kept taught but not overly so. Use line at least #36 for wrecks (cavers use #24).

With all that said, DO NOT, do line penetrations without training and practice in easy situations.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom