Martini's Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hocky

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Does anyone have any idea about the real Martini Law?

For those of you who know nothing about this, nitrogen narcosis is thought to have a martini effect on divers to the extent that diving to certain depths is the equalivant to drinking one martini on an empty stomach.

Some reports say that it comes into effect every 33 feet, other reports every 50 feet and others every 100 feet. In the book "The Last Dive" Bernie states that it happens every 50 feet. He also says that the reasearch into this effect isn't conclusive so even though he thinks its every 50 feet, he's not positive its 100%.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Regards

Hocky

narcosis works on the same principle as DCS, everyone is different and there is no way of measuring narcosis!,
sure a relevantly qualified PHD bod can sit down and write a paper on it, however his study could only be based on gas physics,and what we have learnt over the decades about tissue saturation,narcotic properties and microbubble diffusion!! personally im not easilly narked but a mate of mine gets frequently drunk between 28 and 30m, there is no rule there are no tables only guidelines and common sense
regards

Hi Hocky,

I'm with NITROX.

Research shows wide variation in susceptibiliy to narcosis across divers, and even within the same diver across time & conditions. The important thing is to be able recognize & manage it.

The current (June '01) issue of "Alert Diver" has a brief but informative piece on this matter.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Readers:

I do agree that narcosis is quite variable, as the others have indicated.

Dr Deco

I can personally attest to the Docs views on this one. La Jolla's Submarine Canyon offers great deep diving, and while exploring these depths on numerous occasions I can tell that some days my tolerance is less than others by as much as 20 feet!

I guess the same can be said about many things in life!

Excellent article, thanks!

HeadsUp...thanks. That is a really eye-opening article.

Jimbo

Back
Top Bottom