Breath hold duration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GetNarc'd

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read quite a few of the threads in this forum lately. It seems like it can be greatly supplemental for a scuba diver to learn/practice freediving techniques. My question is about breath holds. When I read the duration that people on here can hold their breath for, at what point is that understood to begin and end. In other words, would you take as deep a breath as you can, then start timing yourself until your next inhale? I've been practicing lately and timed myself last at a 3 minute duration between first full breath and my next inhalation. However, if I expel all air from my lungs and hold that, I can't even go 45 seconds.

The reason I ask is because i'm not familiar with the procedure when freediving. Would you take in as much air as possible (maybe even hyperventilate first), or do you want empty lungs when you descend?

GetNarc'd:
I've read quite a few of the threads in this forum lately. It seems like it can be greatly supplemental for a scuba diver to learn/practice free diving techniques. My question is about breath holds. When I read the duration that people on here can hold their breath for, at what point is that understood to begin and end. In other words, would you take as deep a breath as you can, then start timing yourself until your next inhale? I've been practicing lately and timed myself last at a 3 minute duration between first full breath and my next inhalation. However, if I expel all air from my lungs and hold that, I can't even go 45 seconds.

The reason I ask is because I'm not familiar with the procedure when free diving. Would you take in as much air as possible (maybe even hyperventilate first), or do you want empty lungs when you descend?

You might want to also check with some experienced free divers. If you hyperventilate excessively before the free dive you could get to the point where the partial pressure of CO2 is low enough that it doesn't force you to breath. As a result when you start to return to the surface you could experience "shallow water blackout" since the partial pressure of the CO2 will drop even lower resulting in you still not feeling you have to breath and pass out due to hypoxia.

I am not a free diver and don't work in the medical field. This knowledge was obtained as part of my NAUI Master Diver training.

There are people that are infinitely more knowledgeable in this area I am. I am sure they can explain it in more detail.

When timing my breath hold, I start my time from the moment my breath is being "held" until the moment I initiate the start of my next breath. If timing underwater it is the time that my face is immersed under water.
Doing a breath hold on empty or near empty lungs is difficult since the CO2 builds up that much quicker. A drill that I perform is an empty lung breath hold submerged while finning with my hands placed against the wall of the pool. It is a great training skill but remember any training activity should only be carried out under competent supervision.
When you draw your breath, make sure you are utilizing your diaphragm and draw the breath from the lower abdomen and then upward. Let your ribcage expand and draw it into your cheeks at the end. Ventilate but it isn't necessary to hyperventilate. An empty lung descent isn't going to get you very far and with it you run the risk of a serious lung squeeze. Hope this helps and be sure to use a training partner versed in any relevant safety aspects!

GetNarc'd:
When I read the duration that people on here can hold their breath for, at what point is that understood to begin and end. In other words, would you take as deep a breath as you can, then start timing yourself until your next inhale?
Wikipedia has article on Free-diving that seems pretty good.

That said, I would look for information on standards from the two main governing bodies.
International Association for Development of Apnea
Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques

GetNarc'd:
The reason I ask is because i'm not familiar with the procedure when freediving. Would you take in as much air as possible (maybe even hyperventilate first), or do you want empty lungs when you descend?
For your hyperventilation comment, just note risk of shallow water blackout. As for empty lungs, that would be decreasing your ventilatory reserve (in a nut shell, amount of O2 available) and can also cause problems when you factor in Boyle's law as your Residual volume decreases causing negative pressure barotrauma.

--sorry, don't normally post in this forum but saw this question in passing.

I know it's a long discussed subject, but what is the cause for shallow water blackout occuring at a umm.... shallow depth!?
I'm surprised that I've seen videos that advocate slight hyperventilation prior to a free dive
Gene, I was shocked to read that most people have a 1.2 liter residual lung capaticy upon exhalation.

Its because at depth the partial pressure of the O2 in your lungs goes up and allows more to disolve in your blood. as you accend, the partial pressure of the O2 in your lungs decreases, which slows/stops the flow of oxygen into the blood from the lungs (equilibrium stuff) and some say can actually pull O2 out of your blood, as it seeks to balance the levels of O2 in your blood, and in the air in your lungs.

GetNarc'd:
I know it's a long discussed subject, but what is the cause for shallow water blackout occuring at a umm.... shallow depth!?
I'm surprised that I've seen videos that advocate slight hyperventilation prior to a free dive
Gene, I was shocked to read that most people have a 1.2 liter residual lung capaticy upon exhalation.
There are three different types of blackout associated with the sport of freediving. They are:

SHALLOW WATER BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by carbon dioxide retention. Unconsciousness strikes most commonly within 15 feet (five meters) of the surface. This is generally what happens to the person that swims long horizontal distances as the CO2 builds up in the body.

BREATH-HOLD BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by the gradual onset of hypoxia; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. Generally occurs to those that are practicing static breath holds.

ASCENT BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by sudden onset of hypoxia during ascent; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. This is what most refer to as Shallow Water Blackout. It is actually termed Ascent Blackout as the diver ascends and , upon expansion of the lungs, vital O2 is taken away from the brain and utilized by the lungs. A rapid ascent may increase likelihood as well as exhalation on ascent.

GetNarc'd:

You generally want your lungs full of air. Many will argue that you do not want your lungs too full because it can interfere with relaxation and others will argue that packing (gulping air into your mouth then forcing it into your lungs) more air into your lungs can help breatholding. I discovered packing on my own as many other self taught freedvers have. For me it is beneficial and helps me to get a full breath of air and overcome wetsuit sqeeze. Without a wetsuit I do not find it as beneficial. Many freedivers use packing excercises as a lung conditioning technique. As with any freediving technique there are benefits and costs so use your own good judgement and ease into any technuiqes that you try and be safe.

Also, if you do a series of warm up breath holds you may find that your breathold time may drastically increase once you are "in the zone". My first freedive of the day is usually my worst in terms of breath hold time. For me my best breathold times are on a relativley empty stomach. If you are going to eat before freediving then try to eat a very small light meal. I can't hold my breath long at all for hours after a big meal :).

Hope this helps.
-Chris

charris400:
For me my best breathold times are on a relativley empty stomach. If you are going to eat before freediving then try to eat a very small light meal. I can't hold my breath long at all for hours after a big meal :).

Hope this helps.
-Chris
Ohhh man, isn't that the truth. I experimented once and tried to do statics right after eating 4 bean burritos. Never again! :D

If truely interested buy bluewater hunting and free diving by Terry Maas
http://www.amazon.com/Bluewater-Hunting-Free-Diving-Terry/dp/0964496607
you'll notice there isn't many used copies because its the "freedivers Bible".

second, get a dive buddy. someone who is as stoked as you on the sport. I've lost one friend to shallow water black out, recue'd another and visited a few in the hospital. Its for real

My best breath-holds are after activity. like after a swim work out or a kayak out to my favorite hunting grounds. I guess it gets the body's metabolism warmed up. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom