Any great swimmers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was told I can swim more efficiently by exhaling through my nose in the crawl. It has been hard to adapt, but I am getting better. My son swims much better than I do, but he breaths through his mouth.

Does it matter if you are a mouth breather or a nose breather in your exhale, or do you do both?

I exhale though my mouth only, since my nose is usually stuffy due to colds, allergies, whatever and have gotten quite good at it. I have heard it is best to do both though if you can get the hang of it.

I have done quite a bit of swimming, a bit in the irish championships, and the best technique, well the one that we were always taught was to breathe out through both your mouth and your nose whilst your head is still underwater, then once exhaled breathe in through your mouth.

Takes a bit of getting used to but saves those seconds!

I exhale through both depending, but frankly, the issue of whether to exhale through the mouth or nose would fall about 11 on the top 10 things to make you a more efficient swimmer.

Assuming you are already doing some drills as part of your workout? Learning how to glide and rotate the core? head position? kick cycle? bilateral breathing? hand placement? Catch? etc etc.

I was a competitive swimmer at one time and was taught to exhale through my nose. Honestly, it doesn't matter and if you learn to exhale through your nose like I did it makes your transition to scuba a little more difficult. I still am having to break myself of the habit and constantly fog up my mask and break the seal when I start exhaling through my nose. What really matters is streamlining, pacing yourself, and using an efficient stroke. If you really want to learn to swim the best way is to find someone willing to teach you, this isn't something easily learned from a book.

Through both mouth and nose . . .(holding onto the side of the pool, exhausted after attempting to swim a 200 meter IM for the first time since High School:D )

Hey, I am getting a hang of nose breathing. Somehow, I can breath more naturally that way. I can't seem to do both nose and mouth exhalation yet... It is an improvement from my mouth exhalation, as I tend to hold my breath longer.

i blow that air out of any orifice i can find

the only important thing about breathing is to make sure you breath from both sides

sometimes i breath on a 3 stroke, if i'm doing breathing excersises i'll swim a lil slower and breath every 7-9 strokes, if i'm swimming fast i'll breath every 3 then 5 strokes

i think thats more important then how you breath out

Superform:
i blow that air out of any orifice i can find

the only important thing about breathing is to make sure you breath from both sides

sometimes i breath on a 3 stroke, if i'm doing breathing excersises i'll swim a lil slower and breath every 7-9 strokes, if i'm swimming fast i'll breath every 3 then 5 strokes

i think thats more important then how you breath out

I haven't been breathing out of both side much, I am still focusing on endurance and stroke. I can do it, but takes a little of time and mental work. My son does it on both side all the time. Thanks for the input. Going from barely 2 laps to 25 in 1 month has been a big step for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom