Henderson Insta Dry Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver20

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has heard any reviews or has used the Henderson Insta Dry wetsuit? I am going to Galapagos on a liveaboard and this suit sounds great, but I am skeptical of Henderson. I had a wetsuit from them, and it pilled after a few uses. Any comments would be appreciated!
thanks

I cant comment on personal experience...only what I have heard, and I dont want to come across like Im bashing another product......but I have heard similar to what you said and also that the material doesnt hold up the test of time.....

I love my Henderson wetsuits, but after watching a lady struggle for over 10 minutes to get into one on Maui last year, I wouldn't want one. Once she had it on, she loved it, but wouldn't take it off until after her second dive for fear of not being able to get it on again. <sigh>

Henderson is well known to pill due to it's "love" of velcro. I don't have any velcro on my gear (except my tank straps) and my Hyperstretches have no pilling and after 3 years still look brand new.

From all that I have heard about donning, durability and cost I'd just bring a towel or coat to cover up if you are concerned about evaporative cooling on the SI.

To me the product comes off like some kind of science fair experiment.

Pete

spectrum:
To me the product comes off like some kind of science fair experiment.

Pete
:rofl3:

I dove with a guy once who had one and he really liked it especially in the quarry. The only thing that got wet were his wrists and ankles and after the dive it was kind of cool to watch how fast the thing dried.
Ber :lilbunny:

I have the hood and gloves, use them with my drysuit. They are a bear to get on and off, but extremely warm. They don't absorb water, but do require wiping with a towel to dry "instantly". They also tend to have some form fitting memory. In other words the are very tight and uncomfortable new, but over time mold to you body shape and become more comfortable.

The suit is pretty much a straight RUBBER Material, not much neoprene. 1) Thats why it dries fast 2) thats why it's so hard to get on and off.

I have 5 Henderson suits; 3m Shortie, 2-3m, 5m, 5/7; all Hyperstretch, and love them. All but the shortie have 50+ dives on them...but the INSTA-DRY is a totally different creature.

Been diving a 3 mil Insta-dry about a year. If it's dry and you're dry, it comes on and off pretty easy; if you're wet and it's wet, the same. But if you're wet and it's dry, it's a real pain to get on. Off is easy, it peels. Baby powder helps putting it on if you have trouble.

It's the warmest of all the suits I have - it doesn't compress much and acts almost as a semi-dry. Dove it with a hooded vest and gloves, it was hard to tell any warmth difference between it and a 7 mil regular suit.

To echo comments from Ber Rabbit and others, I dive with a buddy (actually, a shop owner himself) who uses one, and LOVES it, particularly in colder quarry water. His only negative comment is that it is a bit pricey. I thought of getting one but couldn't justify the expense. If it it colder than 70 degrees, I will dive dry (since I have already taken that financial free-fall, er, plunge).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom