do you connect the chest strap on bcd? (when using drysuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
i just bought a new drysuit and the chest strap on my bcd is right in the middle of it. i like using it as it helps the bcd stay on better...

is there a better way to route the chest strap, or just don't use it?

--c

I guess I was lucky, mine all play ice together. I assume you mean the sternum strap is on the inflater valve?

I have had dives where I forgot to connect my sternum strap and I was just fine. Obviously many, many BCs don't even have the feature.

yeah, that's the one... i have a balance bcd, so i only have shoulders, waist and then the chest strap... it keeps the bc snug.

i hate the straps with a passion, and have thus removed it. if it gets in the way of your drysuit, you're going to have to go without....doesn't really make much of a difference

I know of three BC's that they can't be moved. I never used mine in the first place and took it off so no big deal. I'm not sure that I have seen a dry diver use a chest strap.

I use mine but since my bc is a little small when I'm wearing the drysuit the chest strap is up high and out of the way of my inflator. If I don't use the chest strap my shoulder straps end up on my biceps even though the bc is as tight as it will go. It's a royal PITA, I like the bc well enough when I'm in a wetsuit but it's too small for the drysuit.
Ber :lilbunny:

When I dive doubles with my DS, I use an OMS BP with a harness that has quick releases and a chest strap. Although the strap is close to the chest inflator, I am able to connect it without problems related to using the inflator. I have also used a Ranger, with a chest strap, with my DS, with the same experience - it works even though the strap is close to the valve.

Having said that, in more than a few cases I have forgotten to use the chest strap, and have had no troubles without it be connected.

Mine works OK with the DS, I believe the strap is above the DS inflator valve.
Scubapro Knighthawk BC, Andy's DS.

My jacket BC's chest strap never interfered with the inflator. Of course, the new backplate and wing I dove with last weekend was hog rigged, so there was nothing to get in the way. :D

Back
Top Bottom