Hooded Vest Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am considering buying a Bare Velocity 7mm over-vest or a 3/5mm chicken vest to augment my wetsuit. Assuming a size Large, how much lead is required to sink each of these?

Well I have the Bare Arctic, just slightly more buoyant and that vest in size XL I dive PST E7-80s and wear 20 pounds in salt water. Your suit consist of a little less rubber so you can shave a few pounds.

If you dive an AL80 add about 7 pounds.

BTW that is a very nice combination to dive.

Pete

spectrum:
Well I have the Bare Arctic, just slightly more buoyant and that vest in size XL I dive PST E7-80s and wear 20 pounds in salt water. Your suit consist of a little less rubber so you can shave a few pounds.

Pete
I'm a bit confused. I was looking for the added buoyancy of each type of vest. When you add the 7mm overvest or the 3mm chicken vest to you overall kit how much lead do you have to add?

BTW, kudos on diving a wetsuit in the North Atlantic. I hope to have the huevos to dive likewise in Monterey someday soon.

My Bare 3mm hooded chicken vest is 3.5 pounds positive (2004 when the hood was 5mm)

The 7mm hooded step-in shorty vest is 10.5 positive

spectrum:
My Bare 3mm hooded chicken vest is 3.5 pounds positive (2004 when the hood was 5mm)

The 7mm hooded step-in shorty vest is 10.5 positive
Perfect! Exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

At what temp do you switch from the 5/4 + chicken vest to the 5/4 + step-in combo?

The 5/4 is very limited for scuba up here. it makes a real nice skin-diving suit though. Most of my ocean scuba is in the 7mm Arctic. I have used the 5/4 with each vest for assorted fresh water scuba dives and for some ocean dives with heat packs and had good results.

I'll wear the Arctic and chicken vest when the surface temp is up in the 60's and there will be excursions down to perhaps 55F during the dive. (mid July/Early September)

When the surface gets down to 60F or I expect to get below 55F for long I'll wear the 7mm step-in over the Arctic.

When the general water temperature levels out to 50F or less I go dry.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom