Bare Nex-Gen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking at the Bare Nex-Gen drysuit and would like to hear any recent comments good or bad.

Here's some older posts about the Nex Gen http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=46456&highlight=nexgen

The good news is it's only 500.00 ish bucks...

The bad news is it dives like a 500.00 buck drysuit....

Don't get me wrong... it kept me warm on a lot of dives here in Monterey.... but compared to my 2nd hand DUI TLS 350 it was like going from a stiff jumpsuit to jammies :)

My Bare Nex-Gen Pro is flexible and comfortable and keeps me warm (I've used it in 44 degree water and been toasty in just basic fleeces).

60 dives and no leaks or rips or problems with inflator or dump.

It has been a good entry level suit for me - one of the reasons it is priced lower is (as told to me by a Bare rep) that it only comes in stock sizes with no options. Thus, they can make lots of the same suit, lowering the cost per unit. It has no pockets, suspenders, or other systems that prevent the suit from sagging or shifting (my new Whites suit does not ride up or shift down - extremely comfortable). All in all, I have over 200 dives on the Nex Gen - replaced the neck and wrist seals once (neck seal was my fault - I lost too much weight and it leaked). It is still my trusty back up. Hope this helped. Cheers!

I just got a bare Nex-Gen Pro (Womens) from Divetank for Christmas. Its been great so far.

One word of caution though. The seals are extremely tight (neck and wrist). The wrist made my hand puff up and turn colors in a matter of minutes. The neck is easy to trim and has the lines in the latex for cutting. The wrist, however, doesn't appear that it should be cut and BARE never mentions being able to trim it. I ended up having to trim the wrist seals even though they aren't designed to be. (At first it doesn't appear that trimming would do any good since it is more like a tube thats the same size than a cone which slowly gets larger). Trimming did help some as now a thin band cuts off circulation instead of a longer one.

I'm sure this is confusing as most wrist seals are made to be trimmed but if you check out this suits seals you'll understand the problem. I posted about this when I first purchased the suit and found others who experienced the same thing. I'm sure if you search here you'll find some old threads on the suits too.

Miranda

NexGen is an excellent first suit. Low cost, easy to maintain and comfortable. Also tough! I muck dive and black water dive, with no damage. The comment about warm with basic undergarment is correct. 44° water with only a 100g garment and toasty. I am upgrading to self entry mostly because I got a fantastic deal because I work for a scuba shop and the vendor gave employees a huge discount. If it wasn't for the deal, I would not change.
:monkeydan

As I write this, I am disassembling my dry gloves from the wrist seals to send it to the factory for servicing. It doesn't leak, but after five years I think it is time to replace the seals before taking a long trip next summer in cold water. Great suit for the money, a good undergarment is essential. I dive 38 degree water in mine and have no problem. It is not as convenient as a suit that costs three times as much (like my DUI FLX 50/50) but it is a great basic suit and now my primary dry suit. For my money, it is a excellent value. I suggest checking various shops using google. It will give you an idea of what is out there.

Back
Top Bottom