Diver claims world record - what some will do [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Diver claims world record - what some will do

Sponsored Link
diverkim
November 18th, 2002, 10:23 AM
A South African scuba diver claimed a new world record yesterday after living underwater in a steel tank for 10 days, eating through a tube and watching the skin on his hands shrivel.

Tim Yarrow was cheered by hundreds of onlookers just after 12:30pm, when he climbed out of the tank measuring three by 2,3m, where he had stayed in a Johannesburg shopping centre since November 6.

"The first three days were hell. Absolute hell," an exhausted Yarrow said, showing his wrinkled hands.

Yarrow, 30, spent 240 hours underwater on scuba apparatus in a controlled environment without surfacing. That beat 212 hours and 30 minutes, set in 1986 by Michael Stephens of Britain.

Greg Wharram, who operates a local dive shop with Yarrow, said they had contacted the Guinness Book of World Records beforehand and would now file papers to make the record official.

Yarrow did not sleep the first few days because of a poor-fitting facemask. - Reuters :)

ericfine50
November 18th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Why? What a cool guy
Eric

Louie
November 18th, 2002, 02:46 PM
How does one go to the toilet during such an endeavour?

Welshman
November 18th, 2002, 02:50 PM
No 1's no problem but I don't want to think about No 2's. Perhaps he had a shower curtain on a rail to maintain his modesty!

jepuskar
November 18th, 2002, 04:27 PM
A whole new meaning to the word 'floater' heh?

voidware
November 18th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Did he have a FFM or a separate regulator and mask?

brandon

Soggy
November 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
And what's with these guys doing world record dives watching their fingers fall off because of pruning when they could just put on a drysuit with dry gloves!?

lakesdiver
November 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
The things some folks will do for their 15 minutes of fame.

voidware
November 20th, 2002, 01:44 PM
What he should have done was dive in an isotonic saline solution to prevent finger pruning. No one has answered the warhammer maneuver (sp?) question yet.

brandon

Soggy
November 20th, 2002, 01:46 PM
I realized that my drysuit question was somewhat dumb...The reason why he's in a wetsuit is most likely so he can poop.

MNScuba
November 20th, 2002, 02:26 PM
voidware once bubbled...
No one has answered the warhammer maneuver (sp?) question yet.
brandon

Oh, thank you SO much for bringing that lovely image to my attention again!
:eek:

Lawman
November 21st, 2002, 12:37 PM
I've been working on a record myself. I've been wearing my fins [Atomic Split fins] since September 21st. I painted them to look like large wing-tips so I could wear them to work.

I'm going for the Gold!:bonk:

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1