winter tech in the great lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caverkevin

Contributor
Reaction score
Calling all the crazy great white north tech. divers. The weather is turning cold and snowy. Most all the boats are off the lakes. I still want to dive. Any suggestion for a good dive, besides ohio quarries and mud holes. Something in the Great Lakes region. A dive that might not be a waste for the 18/45 trimix that is sitting in my doubles.

Cold and dry, rather be cold, dry and underwater.
sincerely,

Kevin Jones

I know of a couple of charters that run all year on the west shore of lake michigan. Cold water top to bottom makes for rough deco though. I would take that mix south.

Kevin - we have a run up here that doesn't freeze all winter long - the tailrace from our power canal. Its only 25' depth, total dive takes about 25-30 mins, but its a heck of a ride! You cover a little more than a mile in 25 minutes, and don't kick other than to avoid some of the obstacles in the water. We'll be in again this weekend.......

SS

If you can get yourself to the SW corner of Lake Michigan, there are a couple of boats that will run so long as they can chip the ice from the rudders...

Milwuakee, WI:
Len-der Dive Charters
414-482-1430
414-588-6764 (cell on boat)

Waukegan, IL:
Enterprise Marine
847-520-4689

Both will do some deeper stuff, although there is very little chance that you're going to find a dive to a depth in the Lake Michigan's southern basin that requires hypoxic trimix. 100 - 130 is about the max, just because of the shape of the lake bottom.

Steven

Jodey is a nice one... 150 ft+

I think Charters are still going out (as of last weekend)

Jodrey

More than a couple of hours from Ohio though....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom