neosport for cold water diving...thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
i'm a beginner diver and need a cold water wetsuit. i will be going to santa rosa, nm (the blue hole) and the water temp is about 60 degrees or so. i'm considering getting the neosport farmer jane 7mm wetsuit and also considering getting the hotsuit belt to keep me warm. any thoughts on the quality of the neosport line? i would prefer to spend less than $200 since i'm only going to be using the suit maybe 3 times max. would also love recommendations on other brands also.

here's the link to the suit
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo7MilJohnJacket

picholine506:
i'm a beginner diver and need a cold water wetsuit. i will be going to santa rosa, nm (the blue hole) and the water temp is about 60 degrees or so. i'm considering getting the neosport farmer jane 7mm wetsuit and also considering getting the hotsuit belt to keep me warm. any thoughts on the quality of the neosport line? i would prefer to spend less than $200 since i'm only going to be using the suit maybe 3 times max. would also love recommendations on other brands also.

here's the link to the suit
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo7MilJohnJacket

It's really all personal tolerance, but i don't think you'll need a hotsuit belt for 60*. With a farmer jane 7mil, you've got 14mm on your core. I dive in 42-48* water here in a 7mil fullsuit with a 5mil vest (13mil on my core) and i'm ok. I think for 60* you should be more than ok.

But why do you want to buy a wetsuit for one trip? If you are going to use it for only 3 dives, why not rent?

DawgDiver:
It's really all personal tolerance, but i don't think you'll need a hotsuit belt for 60*. With a farmer jane 7mil, you've got 14mm on your core. I dive in 42-48* water here in a 7mil fullsuit with a 5mil vest (13mil on my core) and i'm ok. I think for 60* you should be more than ok.

But why do you want to buy a wetsuit for one trip? If you are going to use it for only 3 dives, why not rent?

Agreed. Down to 50F I think a 7mm with 6/4mm hooded vest is fine for dives up to 45 minutes. Once temps creep into the high 40s, then it gets cold. MA really doesn't get above (or to 60F) at depth, and I was just fine in the higher 50s.

i was at the blue hole in november and wore a 2 piece...i think it was a 5mm suit that i borrowed and i was still freezing...not to mention i couldn't feel my toes for over 30 minutes after i got out of the water. i'm kind of on the thin side so i think i'm a bit more sensitive to the cold

If you're only going to be using the suit 3 times or so I say just rent a 7mm, no need to really purchase one. Also, if you find yourself getting cold be sure to wear a hood. The head is responsible for releasing about 20-25% of your body heat.

-Kstnbike

I'm not sure where you are located. If you can use the suit after your trip then buy it. Another consideration is bagage space. A wet suit is kind of bulky. I would rather pack my BC, Reg and camera. Tanks, wet suit and weights I would rent. I use a 13 mm suit in 52 degree water and if I'm not doing photo it's fine. Photo I basically barely move for an hour plus. I do get cold. On an active dive of 45 min. a 14mm core is fine.

picholine506:
i was at the blue hole in november and wore a 2 piece...i think it was a 5mm suit that i borrowed and i was still freezing...not to mention i couldn't feel my toes for over 30 minutes after i got out of the water. i'm kind of on the thin side so i think i'm a bit more sensitive to the cold

Make SURE you are wearing a hood! I'm sure you've heard that you lose the majority of your body heat through your head. Also, adquate gloves and boots are necessary to keep those extremities warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom