Thistlegorm and Mooring buoys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It annoys me very much the state that wreck reached. I dont know why dont they install a Mooring buoys, rather then anchor on the ship structure.

Either there is a limitation of some sort or they just dont care. But they installed buoys all over the red sea why not Thistlgorm.

Maybe they did but as far as i know they did not

No there are no mourning buoys in Thistl....

I don't know why....

Maybe really they don't care?
Mania
PS. remember the only restriciton (at least offical one) is that you have to be min. AOWD to be able to dive there.

I don't know the applicability of installing mooring bouys to the Thistlegorm but I think it's not applicable.

The Thistlegorm is not a daily diving site only. Liveaboards stay the whole day there and sometimes spend the night also there so they must:
1. either tie the boat with 2 ropes to the wreck.
2. or tie the boat to the mooring bouys (if exist) then use 2 extra anchors. This 3 ropes tie is the general practice for liveaboards in other sites.

In conclusion, I think tying the boat to the wreck will have less damaging effect.

Sadly i think the ship is worst since my first dive. And it seems kind of logical that the force on the ship structure after a while will probably be effected.

I believe the reason why there are no mooring buoys at Thistlegorm is that because it is considered a war grave and that we shouldn't really be diving it. Most guides in the Red Sea would love to have mooring buoys at the Thistlegorm, as before we lead the customers on their first dive, we may have to do as many as three dives to tie onto the boat. Then after the customers have had their dives, we have to untie. This leads to almost guaranteed deco stops, with no line to hold onto as the boat has moved. All in all this makes the Thistlegorm a really hard days work for us.

As it happens the same subject came up on Divernet yesterday. Check out post #7: "attempts were made in the past with concrete blocks and they simply got pushed away by current".

Unfortunately diving the Thistlegorm is and remains one the messiest dives to undertake - especially if you are a diveguide. If, on top of that the guide or the boatcrew (or both) are inexperienced or don't really know what they are doing, disaster can strike.

I don't think mooring buoys would be a feasible concept here, as the position of the boats are mostly dictated by weather/sea conditions. During high season one can count as many as twenty boats on the wreck, so that would be a lot of buoys, considering that most boats use one anchor plus two lines tied to the wreck. Setting a dozen or so moorings would limit the number of boats present on the wreck (certainly good for the wreck and the divers) which in turn could cause either outrage or ignorance from the dive operations. In the latter case more boats will hook up to one mooring and cause them to break - back to square one.
Liveaboards actually have moorings - ropes are tied to the Thistlegorms anchor - but still they need to tie up to the bow of the wreck, if only to have a descent line for the divers.

Of course there has been damage to the wreck from various sources (divers, guides, natural deterioration) but IMHO the worst factor are those diveguides that will tie their lines to virtually anything, risking not only to damage the wreck but also their own boat as well as others.

One solution could be to actually limit the number of boats/divers allowed on the wreck per day. On the other hand, this would damage the dive operations and I seriously doubt that the egyptians could pull a thing like that.

It's about bloody time, the only downside is the end of the month-long closure just overlaps with my northern safari in December, so no Thistlegorm for me this time. Bugger... Still, at least they aren't closing the Rosalie Moller at the same time – now missing both would be a serious pain in the rear!

Some people still kicking up a fuss about the plans, though - as they stand they effectively ban day boats. Boats will have to moor up to the mooring balls and then shuttle divers to and from the ascent/descent lines using RIBs, and most dayboats don't have RIBs. Be interesting to see how they handle this.

Mark

That's really great news for Thistlegorm wreck!

Sorry to hear it coincides with your diving safari, Mark.

Back
Top Bottom