Semi dry suit, which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at the same two suits. Did you ever get any feedback?

I had the Taurus suit and it's a great semi dry. It's a top quality build with top quality materials. The key to a semi dry keeping you warmer than a regular wetsuit is fit and seal. You do not want a suit that has anything other than a snug fit. My experience with the suit is that it was reasonably comfortable in 45 degree water for a 50 minute dive. Surface intervals can be your undoing if you cannot get out of the suit to warm up. If surface temps are warm you'll probably be ok keeping the suit on, but keep in mind that a wet suit, semi dry or no, acts like a mini refrigerator topside since evaporation removes heat from your body. If you can't warm up on the surface interval, your second dive is going to be less comfortable.

Think this through carefully, you might want to think about a dry suit if you going to be diving cold water. It was the surface interval issues that put me into a dry suit.

There are great deals out there. I got a DUI TLS 350 with lots of extras for $900 and it had never been in the water, it was a brand new suit. The Taurus brand new was $800.

Mark

I've got a Mares Isotherm like crpntr133, works great. Have spent 30 minutes+ at a time in 40 degree water with no problem. My son is now using it since I've gone dry.

i have heard great things about the waterproof suits i almost got one of their undergarments for my drysuit but got a cheeper comperable one. but the waterproof suits are very very nice

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I ended up picking up a Waterproof Taurus from my LDS for a killer price! It had to be shipped from the warehouse in LA but should be up here mid-week. Can't wait to get it wet!

Back
Top Bottom