Drysuit Nausea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse785

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced nausea from wearing a drysuit?

Here's the deal,.. I bought a lightly used drysuit (on here actually) that was in great condition. It's a little big for me, but nothing to be concerned about. Since this is the first time I've dove dry, I only have about four dives on it. But my problem is that after each dive, I can't wait to get the drysuit off because the neck (latex) seal makes me feel nauseous. Is this normal? Is it just a matter of trimming my seal? I'm kinda nervous to have the seal trimmed because I don't want to ruin something that works. Does that make sense? And before anyone asks,.. no, I'm not allergic to latex.

Any help is appreciated.

If your neck seal is too tight, it can cause a bad day!

Have someone help you trim a ring. Also, if your hood is too tight, it can interfere with equalizing properly.(Both descending and ascending.) That can make you feel nauseaus as well.

I also would suggest trimming the seal down a ring and try it again. A new seal will loosen a bit after time so don't take too much off.

I had the exact same experience - nausea - I think it's dizziness from constriction of the neck arteries/restricted blood flow, but it felt like I had the flu or something. I trimmed the neck seal and its gone.

As has been already mentioned the culprit is probably a too tight neck seal.

I speak only for myself with latex seals...

Out of the water my neck seal is snug, it is slightly uncomfortable but clearly not so tight that I have any sensation that it is choking me. In the water the thing just disappears, and I forget all about it. One thing I do with my latex seal is to fold it in and down in the same manner a "skin OUT" neoprene seal would be worn. This serves a couple of important purposes for me. First it gives me the mobility to move my head about without the small little leaks that I get when I wear the seal straight up. Second I find it to be more comfortable sitting below my adams apple.

Mark Vlahos

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I was checking out some other threads on here about nausea and diving and it seems that the hood could also be the culprit. Although I really think the neck seal is the prime suspect. I can feel the nausea coming on almost as soon as I put the neck seal over my head, but I feel better once I hit the water. There is still some constriction, but it's tolerable. When the dive is done is when the nausea really kicks in.

I'll have a local professional trim the seal for me.

Thanks. I was wondering if it was just me.

Trimming a seal isn't rocket science. All it takes is a sharp pair of scissors and follow the little molded in line, you don't need to pay someone to do that!

All the best, James

eclipse785:
I'll have a local professional trim the seal for me.
Local professional = scissors

Yeah Mossman, that's what I was thinking. I've heard that while you can do it yourself, each time you start and stop with smaller scissors, you introduce tiny cracks that can turn into tears further down the road. A local professional will trim it for free and apparently has a really long set of trimming shears that can trim the whole seal in one cut, thus less cracks and longer seal life.

Or so I've been told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom