BC in flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, i've purchased a BC for the first time and i'll be hopping on a flight to go diving. any suggestions for packing a bc? does anyone know about the pressurization of the checked luggage and the affect on the bladder of a BC? i was thinking of leaving a little bit of air in it during the flight but i'm worried about causing damage.

Don't worry about it. Just pack it as neatly as you can so there will be room for your other gear. So long as it isn't fully inflated when you take off, you shouldn't have any problems with overpressurization. Even if you did, the odds are extremely good that your BC has an overpressure relief mechanism.

Enjoy your trip!

Depending on your bc, you may find it easier to disassemble it for compact packing. I need to do that with my Seaquest Black Diamond to get it in the bag with all my other gear. Also, I remove the inflator hose, which means my be travels uninflated. I have had no problems in the years I have done this. In any event, if you have a bc knife, remove it if you plan to carry on your bc.

It's all pretty irrelevant. The BC will expand as necessary. If it reaches a pressure level that is extreme (doubtful) due to compaction (volume restriction) caused by the compression of your other clothing items, the pressure valve will gently vent. Leave no air in it.

Do not fret, do not disassemble.

When I fly, I just pack it a carefully as possible. Make sure nothing near it can put a hole in it. Over inflation is not a concern, but rough handling of your baggage could be. I usally try to get all my main gear in my carry on so I know how it's handled. With my BC I can get it in my carry on with my mask, regs, computer and such.

heared a scary story from a british guy, but don't know if he fly from UK or from Holland (where his wife is from). He came with his dive things in a dive bag (Reg/BCD/Shorty.....) and got told even not overweight, he has to pay 40!!!! Euro/kg for dive equipment. He asked what is if he put it in the main laguage. Answer than you don't pay anything extra.
Attention it is a second hand story, so I don't know what really happend and as well I hear something like that the first time.

don't really need to worry about packing. Just make sure you don't put anything sharp along with the sytem.

segundo3000gt:
hi, i've purchased a BC for the first time and i'll be hopping on a flight to go diving. any suggestions for packing a bc? does anyone know about the pressurization of the checked luggage and the affect on the bladder of a BC? i was thinking of leaving a little bit of air in it during the flight but i'm worried about causing damage.

Checked luggage goes through the same pressure changes as you do....:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom