CLX 450 or CF200X???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamweldonjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
This would be my first dry suit, but I want to do it right. Would I me better served with a CLX 450 or CF200X for all-around diving? Has anyone heard anything good or bad about either? i understand that lots of wreckers like the cf200x, why is this?

Thanks All!
Adam

The CF200 is bulletproof. It's a heavy, tough drysuit that offers good flexability and excellent resistance to tears and punctures. It's warmer than trilam and if it is torn, it is easily fixed by some aquaseal. In a pinch, some duct tape offers a temp fix if on a boat. mine is over 10 yrs old, has hundreds of dives and I expect it to last another 10 yrs. It will be the last drysuit I own.

That being said, it's heavy and drys slow. therefor it's not always a great choice for the traveling diver. I tend to travel to warmer (wetsuit) dive locations, so it's not an issue for me.

In general, DUI IMHO make the best (and more expensive) drysuits. They have excellent customer service and offer all the great options like custom fit (the most important feature of a drysuit is good fit!!!!), pee valves, front entry zipper, zip seals, rock boots, etc... you will not go wrong with a DUI suit, but you will pay for it.

just my 2psi...
John

My Drysuit is a Clx 50/50. The top half is the Clx. The bottom half is the Cf200. In my opinion, The top drys quicker, is lighter, and offers more flexability. I ordered my suit with a P-valve, the old style zipper, and the dump on the forearm rather than the shoulder. I love it!! :D

I wreck dive with the CLX 450 and love it. Very durable, dries reasonably fast, provides good flexibility.

I was looking at the same 2 suits. I had dove the CLX-450 & a TLS-350 at the DOG Days & was convinced that altough the 350 was nice I seem to have prefered the 450.
But while I was ordering my 450 & putting on certain options ( such as knee pads ) the price was very close to the CF-200 which I always heard was the top suit from DUI & it came with the knee pads. So I ordered the 200.
If I am traveling by air it is to somewhere warm & sunny so no need for drysuit. If I am driving north weight of a wet drysuit is not a concern.

I would definitely go with the CLX450. The drying time of the 200 has been a real issue for me not because of the weight and traveling but drysuits aren't always dry. For example, you have a fold in your neckseal or you manage to do something with your hand that cracks your wrist seal. The inside of the 200 won't be dry before your next dive; the 450 will.

There's also the issue of condensation. Over the course of a dive, the humidity in your drysuit will go to 100%. If the water is cold enough, it will condence on the inside of the suit. The CLX450 will easily be nice and dry while the 200 will always be a little damp.

I've got a 200 now; my next suit will probably be a 350 or a 450.

I have the CLX450 and my friend has the 200. There are pros and cons for each one, so it really comes down to personal preference. I'm tall so for me the telescoping torso of the 450 gives me more flexibility and a better fit. Also, we are inside of wrecks and I like the toughness of the 450 in case I scrape some metal. My friend thinks his 200 is harder to poke through and thus better for wrecks. Scraping vs. poking. Trilam is easier to repair, I poked a hole in the leg once and in 5 minutes I found and fixed it. Drag is better with the 200. The 200 has better thermal properties, but to me that is minimal compared to the underwear used.

Thakns a ton for all your feedback guys! I think from the sounds of things, I am a 450 kinda guy... I like the idea of a fast drying suit... Now just gotta see how many decades it will be before I can afford one... haha :-D

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom