Epic - depths showing are off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dack77

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an epic that I have had since November. I have noticed over the past several dives that it is not showing the correct depths. One of the inconsistencies has been a depth showing 14 feet at a known depth of 17 feet (platform in a open water training location). I also am showing an odd depth when at the bottom of this same location, which is very close to 65 feet. If you stick your arm down in the bubbling silt, you can get close to 70 feet. This was done today, and my deepest depth was 65 feet. I know for a fact my arm was deeper than that. I also checked this with my instructor that I was helping, and he got his to 71 feet (not on the wrist but on a retractable mount that can get to that depth). Basically what I am asking is, why is my computer so far off and what is the reasonable variances in depths. To me this isnt reasonable and there is a major problem.

I am going to take it into my LDS tomorrow and have them send it in. But I obviously dont want it coming back to me with the exact same problem. 3 feet off at 17 feet, and 6 feet off at 65 feet, tells me that at 130 feet, i am now getting into an approx 15 feet off which could be bad. Nitrogen levels would also be off.

My question is to Aeris, is this something that can be fixed easily or will it need to be replaced?

I have an Epic as well, have not got to dive it yet but would like to know what you find out. Did you e-mail Aeris as well? I know they are closed on the weekend but when I e-mailed them about the recall they e-mailed me back Monday morning early. I am planning to try out my Epic in 2 weeks, might just leave my other computer attached and compare the depths. Let us know what you find out.

Yeah I will let you know what happens. I sent it in today. I had two dives with it this morning before the shop opened up, where I compared the depths with my older Elite that I bought 3 years ago. The air pressure was spot on with each other. The depths were off, as the Elite recorded several feet deeper than the Epic. I did notice though, that at one point, they were right on with each other. So I wonder if the problem is periodic. Either way though, there is definitely a problem. I checked the backside of the computer to see if any of the ports on the back were dirty, and they were completely clean. Also, on a side note and I am not sure if this was more with the connection or the computer itself, but on a couple of my dives that were downloaded to my laptop the dives actually downloaded at 77 feet and 72 feet. Both dives were to the bottom of the crater which at max is 65 feet. I just chalked this up as a problem with the connection to the laptop, but now I am not so sure. All I know is I am not comfortable diving with it because of the inconsistencies and hopefully its repaired, and not sent back to me with someone telling me there isnt anything wrong. I get enough of that from Car dealers :)

Atleast I have my elite that I can default to so Im not completely without a computer. i love the Epic and will miss it while its gone, lol.

I also got an epic and used it today. too bad i read this post too late i could have compared my depth with the guys im diving with. anyway im diving again tomorrow and i'll try to compare it this time.

I could see why it is off when downloaded depending on what you have the sampling rate set at, but you would think it has to record your max depth. But it shouldn't be off as you are diving. One question when you say crater are you at alitude I did not check your profile, if so then the Epic could be giving you the alitude adjusted depths. Just a thought like I said earlier two weeks till I get to take mine under. Dont know if the Epic does this.

Are you diving fresh water or salt water. Depending on how its calibrated, there could be as much as 3% difference. Not sure how Oceanic and Aeris computers are calibrated though.

Doug can you chime in on how these computers are calibrated. (e.g. freash water, salt water or some compromise between)?

FYI - Regardless of how it's calibrated, it's irrelevant to NDC or decco calculations cause those are using pressure not feet or meters.

I am diving in freshwater, at altitude, about 6000 feet. What puzzles me the most about this is the first approx 16 dives with it have been just fine. Its only been over the past couple times I have been diving that its showed something wierd. I have never had a problem with my Elite showing different depths at the same location.

Arent depths calculated by pressure? If so, if the depths are off, then the nitrogen loads would be off too because its calculating my loads based off a shallower depth/pressure than what I am actually at. Not only that, but my actual dive time remaining based on my air levels would be off because its throwing in different numbers than what I am actually at. I only use that as a general guidance, more so for my breathing techniques.

My understanding on the Aeris computers about altitude adjustment is that its runs an algorithm to compensate for altitude and that the depth on the computer is the actual depth, not the adjusted depth. It then calculates your nitrogen loading based on the adjusted depth. I could easily be wrong on that though. At one point I thought it could have been showing altitude adjusted depths, but that didnt make sense to me because it would show deeper depths, not shallower depths. Basically I am very confused about the whole thing :)

I would love to get a few answers as to the basic questions, mostly for my own knowledge of how these things work but also for people who might run into something similar later on. My local LDS really couldnt give me any answers, their response was, well we better send it in.

Just curious after how many dives did the depth in your computer started acting strange? Like what i said on my post yesterday that I will make sure this time to check if my computer is also doing the same thing. After the dive i started asking the people i dove with and all of them matched the same depth that i got on my Epic.

Im just curious if the wierd thing is something i should look for after certain amount of dive using this.

This started at about dive 16 in open water. I have been using it during pool sessions only to get used to the layout of the watch, etc. I bought it in November, and have had a total of about 30-40 dives (pool and open water) with it since then. Its virtually brand new, no scratches, etc.

Edited---

I reread my post and it didnt make a ton of sense to me. The last few open water dives have been when this showed up. Its approx the 16th open water dive on this computer, the rest of those 30-40 dives have been in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom