Dive skin under wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the pros and cons about wearing a dive skin under a wet suit. Does it help or does take away from the potential warmth of the suit. Does it help when donning?

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Kenny

Not really sure about insulation qualities.
But i wear one under my wetsuit all the time.
Sure makes donning the wetsuit go easy.

It will help with donning but is not at all needed if you have a suit that fits right.

It will not provide any warmth, It is wet cloth and has no insulating value especially when wet. The most it can hope to do is stuff a baggy suit to limit water movement.

It will provide a wicking path to help water move around in the suit, not desirable.

If you have a skin-in suit such as a Henderson Gold Core you have defeated the design intent.

They are one more item to buy, don, doff and clean.

All in all I have little use for them under a wetsuit. They make sense for limited sun, scrape and sting protection in warm water.

Here is an old thread from when I had the same question.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pete

I find a skin worn under a nylon lined suit to make the suit more comfortable, especially if you are going to be wearing the suit all day. It helps with abrasion under the arm and also behind the knee area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom