Snorkeling in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you just want to look around I would suggest going to Looe Key or Pennekamp Park. They are protected areas so you can't take lobster or spear fish. Pennekamp Park is at the North end of the keys and Looe Key is about 3/4 of the way down. I personally like Looe Key better. You will have to take a boat out to the reefs but there are plenty of charter boats that run to these spots. As far as reef scenery goes in the continetnal USA, these spots are tought to beat.
-Chris

The pennenkamp park snorkel/glass bottom boat trips are hard to beat for a non diver. The cost is low and they take you out to one of the shallower reefs and let you stay in the water for about two hours if you like. It was what got me interested in scuba. We took a 7 day vacation to the keys and I was not yet certed. I snorkeled pennekamp on their boat and from shore. Boat is nicer. Even went in off smathers beach in key west. Park was alot nicer. Beach was shallow lots of smaller fish, urchins galore, and water was warm. Off the boat we saw alot of fish, a turtle, and at the end of the time, just before getting back on the boat, someone said shark! ducked under and not 10 ft away a bull about 9ft long went cruising thru the middle of the group. My buddy and I started to follow it as she still had some film left but thought this might not be a good idea. Three months later snorkeled cozumel on a cruise and got back and got my ow cert. If your friend has a good time in the keys with this you may end up getting another dive buddy.

Search the forum for snorkeling/diving in the keys. I think you will get a lot of good info that way. But to quickly add to your list, I would include Sombrero Key in your list. I am thinking about heading down that way myself but gotta get the car ready first. Have fun!!

Sombrero key (off of Marathon) was teaming with fish life - at least early last year. Although I was diving it, there seemed to be lots to see in the shallow areas over the reef. Since Sombrero is rather shallow it's ideal for snorkeling.

Give your friend this link,

http://www.fla-keys.com/

Pick and island then click onto the diving/ snorkling link. If you cant find a place to snorkle in the keys your not looking !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom