Lost Camera at Lobos Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse785

Reaction score
So my buddy and I had a wonderful day of diving this past Sunday (3/5) with Dave and the crew. We were lucky enough to see about 10 whales and dive with a huge group of seals. My buddy got some great picts throughout the day but somehow his camera never made it back on board. He knows where he lost it too,.. in the midst of tossing his gear back on the boat. So I'm enlisting the help of anyone who happens to dive Lobos Rocks (just off Garrapata State Beach). There's a link below that shows the approximate location where the camera was lost.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.45473&lon=-121.93568&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

It's a long shot, I know, and I don't expect anyone to find it, but I figure it is worth asking. It was just a Minolta Dimage (I think) digital point & shoot camera in a clear housing. It's not a huge loss,.. but it sure would be nice to get back.

So if anyone finds it, you can just PM me here.

Thanks

1. Can Dave download the trackline in his GPS and get a precise position where the boat
was?

2. There's something about Lobos Rocks and lost gear. I know of two BC/regs/tank lost
there (neither ever got back to their owner) and a camera (recovered). Given it's not
dived much, that's bad karma at that site.

I lost something in my head at Lobos Rock one time...I lost my girlfriend when I dove at Lobos Rock, she called me a minute I was gonna jump in and finally told me the truth about her going out with someone else. Also I'm not writing this to be funny, it actually happen and from then I hardly go to Lobos Rock. Good thing Tim Doreck understood my problem and he never goes there when I'm his ship. If I go there, I'll try and find it.

Chuck Tribolet:
1. Can Dave download the trackline in his GPS and get a precise position where the boat
was?

2. There's something about Lobos Rocks and lost gear. I know of two BC/regs/tank lost
there (neither ever got back to their owner) and a camera (recovered). Given it's not
dived much, that's bad karma at that site.

Dave's GPS can do that. It has route tracking or whatever it's called, as long as he hasn't cleared the memory or forgot to turn it on before leaving the harbor. Next time I go there, I'll tell Dave to anchor at the same spot and I'll have a look for you.

I LOVE diving Lobos Rocks, and fortunately haven't lost any gear there, or had bad karma. I did find a dead sea lion there once, so obviously the bad karma thing isn't limited to us humans.

Nah,.. I'm not gonna bother Dave with that. He was already pretty patient with me that day and I don't want to ask too much. I just figured that if anyone happened to find it, (someday), that I should go ahead and claim it right now.

... as I said,.. shot in the dark...
(I wonder how long a camera case seal will last at 60'-70'?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom