question about wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ottawascubalady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I bought a full arm and leg wet suit. It fits just a little bit loose in the chest. It fits really good and tight else where. Is it better for the wet-suit to be really snug? It'll get wet anyhow. Thanks for any advice!

Yes you want it to be snug.....the reason for it being a snug fit is based on how a suit works.....A wetsuit takes water and traps it against your body, your body heats the water, thus keeping you warm.....with a tight fitting suit, the same warm water stays against your body, with a loose fitting suit, that same water keeps flushing in and out of the suit....water warms, and then is flushed out with fresh cold water...again and again.....Im not saying your suit is too loose, just saying why you want a correct fitting suit.....How loose in the chest is it?

The wet suit is tight in the neck so the trapped water should stay. It's just a little looser than my last one which is too tight. I wanted more coverage this year and to stay warmer. The size down fit good too, just a little more snug. Should I go for that one?

Hi. 'Snug' is good unless it interferes with breathing and movement. If you decide not to go 1 size down, an alternative is to wear a neoprene vest (2-3mm) underneath to make up for the space.
Dive safely.

EvaL:
Hi. 'Snug' is good unless it interferes with breathing and movement. If you decide not to go 1 size down, an alternative is to wear a neoprene vest (2-3mm) underneath to make up for the space.
Dive safely.

This is good..

To build on this you want to feel a hint of compression all around with the slight exception of your chest. With a male it's a pretty simple thing to determine fit, it's right against the body, does not hinder inhaling or assist in exhaling. Ladies being ladies there are certain contours that a wetsuit just won't form to perfectly and these will represent unwanted water volume. Water volume is the enemy, even with a very good fitting suit your movements will cause the suit to act as a peristaltic pump and there will be water exchange and that spells heat loss.

I would suggest revisiting the smaller suit and while it may streamline your shape somewhat the key thing is how it effects your breathing. Make sure you have full range of motion and that it still fits nice and high in your armpits. If the fit is all there but you feel a little restricted remember that some of this will alleviate when it all gets wet, especially if it's a typical nylon lined suit.

Another good metric I have seen is that when you zip it up, the zipper should be pulling it in about 1 inch. This will provide that slight compression. This is best checked after you have zipped up and the suit had settled onto your body. Open it up and have somebody observe the gap as they zip it up. There is obviously some leeway to this.

You don't say what the thickness of the suit in question is?

Pete

After going through several wet suit purchases lately and not being happy I have decided to go with the one I just bought to replace and augemnt my vintage sharkskin and worn out Body Glove. It is a Bare 5/4 Velocity. Here is my observation on wet suits as now made and the similar issues confront me in cloths and other things of this nature.-----

All clothing, wet suits etc seem to be built for men with skinny legs and skinny little wrists and big bellies and small chests. Any owner of a male body which is not pot bellied and with large butt and skinny appendages will run into issues.

Example, the Bare ML suit says it is for 33-35 waist, 39-41 wait, 170-195 lbs, 5-10 to 6-0 tall. BUT, I am 32 waist, 185 lbs, 44 or more chest and I have large arms, especially wrist and calf and ankle and I ain't got no belly so when I put the suit on it just simply does not fit correctly--it has to little where I need more and more where I need less--I suspect your running into a similar isssue in that yoiu have a taller and thinner build and all of the "belly material" that is added for fat guys is making the chest area to loose.

I have no solution other than paying lot's of money for custom made rubber suits that last a year or two and then stink so much they have to be burned to prevent EPA condemnation.

N

Fish_Whisperer:
Nem, I have the exact same issues with wetsuits. Sounds like you and I are of similar build.

Friends, divers and countrymen{women} there is a wetsuit that will fit even the most freaky bodies, muscle heads, bean poles etc.
I give you--- Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch!!!! What are you waiting for ??
Do you enjoy the struggle, the pain, the sheer agony??? Get the best, SCREW the rest!

When you stretch ANYTHING....the holes, for lack of a better word, get bigger....not the best solution in a wetsuit...especially cold water diving....but for comfort, your absolutly correct

Dive Right In Scuba:
When you stretch ANYTHING....the holes, for lack of a better word, get bigger....not the best solution in a wetsuit...especially cold water diving....but for comfort, your absolutly correct

Amen

The material does not get any thicker either. If it works for someone that's great but don't think you're getting the full performance for the suit thickness you are wearing.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom