How Helpful Is Renting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudgeroni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Salutations,

I'm just going out for my OW cert, so it is premature for me to be buying gear. I need to develop a sense of how my spouse and I want to dive, and I know the standard advice of rent first, buy later.

However...

I also don't want to waste my time and money renting equipment that I don't ever plan on buying, or that is of poor quality.

bc - After browsing through this fine forum, I think I should be looking to get a bp/w, something like the Deep Sea Supply kydex hybrid. I live in Connecticut, and plan to dive both cold water and warm water. How will I ever find a way to rent such a thing?

Dry suit - I already have a 3mil, so I think getting a used dry suit would be much more sensible than going wet. I'll definitely want to take a class before using it, and it seems odd to rent the suit for a class just to confirm that I want to go dry.

Computer - I am pretty sure I want to go with a fairly inexpensive wrist mount, like the Mares M2. I may be wrong here, but I don't think there are many rental options for computers.

Given the fact that the three items above are 80% of my total equipment cost, I am starting to doubt the benefits of renting. Does it make sense in some cases to buy before renting, or is gear fever getting the better of me.:confused:

Please enlighten me.

-Nudgeroni

Nudgeroni,

You made an excellent observation when your referred to the "gear fever". This usually strikes men with a much more debillitating effect than it does women when scuba diving classses are taken.

You're approaching your purchase of gear in the right frame of mind.

The only person who can answer your questions is yourself.

Only you know how much you'll be diving and what those diving environments will be. Project how much you think you'll be diving and the conditions in which you'll be diving and reduce it by, say 40% and then attempt to do an analysis of how much it's going to cost to rent the gear you'll need.

But I can tell you this . . . man to man . . . YOU'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED UNTIL YOU'VE PURCHASED YOU OWN GEAR!!!

It's just one of those male gizmo-gadget afflictions. :D

But I will share this, I think you will be a safer, better and happier diver if you own your own gear.

the K

find a LDS that will apply the rental fees to your new purchases..will send pm

Keep in mind that many of us who purchased gear around the time we got first certified, have since replaced most or all of it with different stuff. I think that's why some folks recommend renting for a little while, so you can really figure out what you want in a practical way.

I can see where the OP is coming from though. I rented for a year before I bought and in addition to having some sketchy encounters with less than well maintained equipment I also wasn't really given a wide variety of BCs or regs to choose from. Most of the rental shops only had jacket BCs in their rental line ups and while the regulators varied by brand they were usually all of similar quality (or lack thereof). So, did I get a whole lot from renting? As to computers, most shops will rent you a computer so you would have the opportunity to try out a few different kinds...this isn't necessarily a good thing though since you will have to get used to a wide variety of interfaces and displays and, unless you are diving the same dive sites with different computers you probably won't get a strong feel for the comparison between algorithms etc. Dry suits I know nothing about except that fit is important and I suspect that may be difficult to achieve in a series of rentals.

You are probably better off seeing if you can get into a group/club with some experienced divers who might be willing to lend you some kit for a try out if you were interested in it.

There was one advantage to renting though...knowing that I was committed to the sport before I dropped a large chunk of change.

Whether or not you rent, it's a great idea to try before you buy.
Nudgeroni:
bc - After browsing through this fine forum, I think I should be looking to get a bp/w, something like the Deep Sea Supply kydex hybrid. I live in Connecticut, and plan to dive both cold water and warm water. How will I ever find a way to rent such a thing?
I believe PG Dive in Newton, MA rents DSS BP/Wings, and it may be worth stopping by on a trip up to Cape Ann or a Boston Harbor Islands charter.

Nudgeroni:
Dry suit - I already have a 3mil, so I think getting a used dry suit would be much more sensible than going wet. I'll definitely want to take a class before using it, and it seems odd to rent the suit for a class just to confirm that I want to go dry.
That would be odd. Personally, I knew I wanted a dry suit, and it wasn't hard to get a shop to throw in the class with the purchase. Again, I believe PG Dive does this too, so if you can't find a more local shop that will help you out, it may be worth talking to them about.
Nudgeroni:
Computer - I am pretty sure I want to go with a fairly inexpensive wrist mount, like the Mares M2. I may be wrong here, but I don't think there are many rental options for computers.
I've seen them for rent at several shops, but you might have a limited selection. I'd say do some research, narrow down your choices, and find shops that will let you try those models out.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I didn't know an lds might offer a deal like crediting rental cost towards a purchase, or a complimentary class. It gives me a better opportunity to shop around.

I think joining a scuba club might be a good option to put into play, too. I'll have to do some browsing through the forums for recommendations.

I think I'll revisit the whole buy/rent thing after my aow class and a handful of dives-- I should be able to hold off the urge to buy for at least a season (as long as my will power holds out).

-Nudgeroni

MSilvia:
Whether or not you rent, it's a great idea to try before you buy.

I believe PG Dive in Newton, MA rents DSS BP/Wings, and it may be worth stopping by on a trip up to Cape Ann or a Boston Harbor Islands charter.

That would be odd. Personally, I knew I wanted a dry suit, and it wasn't hard to get a shop to throw in the class with the purchase. Again, I believe PG Dive does this too, so if you can't find a more local shop that will help you out, it may be worth talking to them about.

I've seen them for rent at several shops, but you might have a limited selection. I'd say do some research, narrow down your choices, and find shops that will let you try those models out.

PG Dive rents both DSS and Halcyon BP/Ws (rental fee can be applied to purchase as well). Dry suit purchase includes the course for free. It's a great shop to check out if you want to get your hands dirty with some nice gear (rental regs are also Atomic B2s, which are better than at most other places I had tried). I also agree with Matt that being able to try before you buy is a great positive. That said, I couldn't be happier that I bought my own gear after about 10 dives. First, it was killer expensive renting. Second, as you said, most places don't have a large variety of gear, so its often difficult to see everything anyway. I tried reading up as much as I could, then going shopping. Also helps if you have a shop that will take back gear once used if you decide it wasn't for you (thank you PG Dive for taking back my Zeagle Ranger for a DSS BP/W!).

Ultimately, the greatest reason for buying (IMO, and for what it's worth, my girlfriend also agrees) is that it keeps you diving. And I don't mean because you simply have gear lying around. For us (both poor graduate students), it was quite an investment. Once the money was spend, however, we weren't going to let it go to waste. The financial commitment up front inspired us to get out diving a lot more than when we renting. We haven't looked back since.

The disadvantage to buying equipment at this stage of the game is that you don’t know what you like and what you don’t like as far as equipment goes. The chances of replacing a piece of gear because you just can’t stand it after five dives are high.

The advantages to buying now are:

1) you aren’t wearing/mouthing someone else’s worn out/grunged up stuff;
2) you’ll dive a heck of a lot more because you don’t have to cough up a chunk of money every time you want to dive ($50/set up package/day in So Cal – 2X per month for 12 months = $1,200!!!)
3) you don’t have to get used to a new piece of gear EVRY TIME YOU RENT. You will get used to using YOUR gear.
4) If you like diving, you’ll NEVER be satisfied until you OWN your own gear.

Laura and I bought our own sets of gear before our first pool session of our OW class. Even with a hectic schedule, running our own business, surgery, kids, family and holidays, we’ve managed to get in some 40 dives since getting certified last August. We’ll be bagging another three dives aboard the Magician, tomorrow! (Yeehawww!!! First time back in the water after my shoulder surgery!!!)

I see this question come up on a regular basis. Every time, I see others advise against buying your gear early. I respectfully disagree. BUY YOUR GEAR AS SOON AS YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!! Although you may well replace the entire set up within the first few years, you will dive A LOT MORE! And that’s the key to becoming a better diver.

Ian Wilson

Nudgeroni:
Salutations,

I'm just going out for my OW cert, so it is premature for me to be buying gear. I need to develop a sense of how my spouse and I want to dive, and I know the standard advice of rent first, buy later.

However...

I also don't want to waste my time and money renting equipment that I don't ever plan on buying, or that is of poor quality.

Your have recognized the dirty little secret about trying gear. In most areas what you can rent is probably not what you want to buy. Renting for a few dives can still serve some purposes. It lets you gain some certainty that diving is for you and gives you some baseline outside of the checkout-dive experience.

Edit, I just saw the posts that you have some real options. Take advantage of those opportunities!

Congratulations on your intentions to be active local divers. It's the key to becoming proficient and safe divers.

Also by getting out there in rental gear you expand the opportunities to perhaps test dive some borrowed gear. Let it be know here on SB that you'd like to test dive an item. When I did that several area divers stepped forth with offers. Divers are cool like that. :)

You probably realize that with the BP/W you have the options of having multiple plates. You can have a nice heavy SS plate for local diving and the kydex for vacation. If you go with a hogarthian harness which is as cheap as dirt you can keep both plates laced and just transplant the wing, that's there the $$ are.

Nudgeroni:
Taking the DS class is a good thing and can usually be had for free as part of the purchase deal. If you go used and find yourself in the company of a good mentor that can be a good alternative form of instruction.

If you plan to be a year round local diver then starting with the DS is a real good idea, especially for your wife. The ladies tend to chill first, that's just the way it is. There is a body of divers that will say dry is the only way to go. I vastly prefer to be wet from Memorial day to November first and I'm in Maine. Each type of suit has it's advantages and the important thing is to get into something that gets you two out there diving. In the end a wardrobe tends to evolve.

Nudgeroni:
Unless you have a knock you socks off dive intensive vacation coming up quick you can take your time on the computer. Any non-integrated nitrox computer will prove to be a good value. Mount it anywhere you like.

Nudgeroni:
Given the fact that the three items above are 80% of my total equipment cost, I am starting to doubt the benefits of renting. Does it make sense in some cases to buy before renting, or is gear fever getting the better of me.:confused:

No doubt there is a case of gear fever in your household, it's normal and healthy. Limited renting can be worthwhile for the reasons I mention. Extensive research here and elsewhere is essential. Becoming gear savvy is in many ways tougher than getting OW certified.

Pete

Nudgeroni:
Please enlighten me.

-Nudgeroni

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom