Henderson... Gold Core vs Hyperstretch vs Insta Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubZeroOC

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Henderson 7mm suits? I live in SO CALI and need a thick suit for our warm waters ;-) Just looking for some personal feedback before I buy one....

Thanks

Gold core is the warmest per thickness, but a pain to don and doff unless you and it are dry. (I know they say if it and you are wet, it goes on easy...trust me, it doesn't. Spraying with diluted liquid KY does help though.)

The hyperstretch fits very well and is easy to don and doff. Slightly (but not noticeably) less insulating properties than the gold core.

Haven't tried the instadry. Seems like a lot of money for minimal beneft.

Alternatively, why not go dry? :D

Cool... i appreciate the feed back... I still have not purchased my suit...

I think that Goldcore suits are much warmer than Hyperstretch suits - my 5mm GC is warmer than my 7mm HS. The trick to putting on a Goldcore is to use suit slide or hairconditioner. Then it will slide on easier than a HS. I will say that for a cold water suit, I now dive an Excel 9,7,6 Polar and it is far warmer than anything I have tried (except diving dry).

the goldcore is toasty warm. once you are wet, its hard to put it on. dry, no problem.

Has anyone tried the HS suit with a HS hooded vest? 7mm on the suit?

Personally I think they're all a waste of money. Go get yourself an Akona 7mm full suit, or for more warmth get a 6.5mm two-piece.. They're snug, warm, and fairly cheap compared to any of those Henderson suits.

I use the HS 7MM two piece step-in jacket. I find the two-piece easier to get into than a one peice and slightly warmer. I'll use a 5MM hooded vest when it's below 60. I'm warm enough down to the lower 50's.

I like my Insta-Dry a lot, but my next wetsuit (once I eventually replace it, since I mostly dive dry now) will be one of those Excel one-piece suits. Way warm.

I use a GC 3 mil core warmer under my 5 mil HS when it's cold. Warmth of the GC, with the comfort HS. That gives me 8 mils on my core with 5 mils on my extremities. I've dove wet down to 53 degrees with this set up. When the water gets warmer, just leave the GC off and your still OK. In the pool, I just wear the GC. Very versatile system. The only drawback is with the HS. It's SUPER comfortable, but velcro sticks to it and it pills like crazy! It's really only a concern if you care what you look like, which I don't!

Good luck!

~Steve~

Back
Top Bottom