April 1-8, Salinas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rookie_J

Reaction score
possibility of visiting during that week. if all goes well, i'll get a chance to do a couple dives. thinking Monteray Bay.

I'm curious what to expect typically during that time of year. maybe a dive shop in the area? I'm an AOW diver, with 50 logged dives+, i'll be alone and in need of a buddy.

I usually dive with my 5/4 wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves here in Minnesota. seems to keep me comfortable to the mid 50's.

I do have a two piece 6.5 john and jacket, man, that'd be a ton of weight, never dove it in salt water....

thanks for any input..

Last weekend my computer registered 49f but that was late sat and 46f late sunday. Like what chuck said most of the diver here use either a drysuit or 7mm wetsuit. As far as diveshops there's a few dive shop in monterey. Two of the diveshop are a walking distance from Breakwater. If you decided not to bring your 6.5 wetsuit i bet that you can easily rent something in any of the dive shop around.

Your 6.5 will work for a quick shallow dive, that's what I use once in a while. But you will get cold in it, the question is what's your cold tolerance level? If you do any charter boat dives you might want to rent a thicker suit. I'd say your 5/4 is out of the question right now.

Go to the breakwater and out to the end of the lot. You will see Glenn's Aquarius II dive shop, it's a little hole in the wall but everyone stops in there to shoot the bull and get a fill. If you need to buy or rent anything he's got it.

And while you're in there check out that far out looking stainless backpack/plate he's got on display. I heard it's made by some dude up on the north coast, he he he.

zvinzonz:
ZKY just curious the dude from nothr coast who made the backplate do you consider him a cool dude ehehehhehehe.
Dude,

The dude from the North Coast is way cool, totally cool.
He's kinda wierd though, got some strange ideas about BP's, ha ha ha...

zvinzonz:
hahahaha ZYK remember to introduce me to this cool wierd guy on the 17th.
I think that dude has to attend some kind of family St. Patrick's day birthday event at his house, that's what I heard anyway. I'm sure if he could get out of it he would, I know if I was in his shoes I'd do anything to bail on that scene.

thanks all for the input.

upper 40's? i've good tolerance for the cold, but i think that's too cold for my 5/3. was going to haul my gear out, but i think i'll just swing by one of the shops and support them by renting the full kit..

when i decide what day, i'll post up and see if anyone is around..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom