Homebuilt DPVs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any good websites and/or books that give plans and advice on how to build a DPV from parts? I read in an older thread here that the guy who wrote the Oxygen Hackers handbook was working on a DPV related book.

I'd like to have a scooter someday similar to a SS, X, or Gavin, but at a fraction of the cost. I've read this is actually hard to do, but I may want to give it a shot anyway.

Brian

bdshort:
Are there any good websites and/or books that give plans and advice on how to build a DPV from parts? I read in an older thread here that the guy who wrote the Oxygen Hackers handbook was working on a DPV related book.

I'd like to have a scooter someday similar to a SS, X, or Gavin, but at a fraction of the cost. I've read this is actually hard to do, but I may want to give it a shot anyway.

Brian

I have seen a couple home built scooters that worked on 12v trolling motors,and they worked actually quite well

bdshort:

Brian

There was a fella named Dagodiver on The DecoStop who had a kit which was essentially a clone of a Gavin/SS type. He went through a series of stages towards that point which may serve as a starting point for you? I found his trial and error processes very interesting + he has access to a CNC machine which makes a HUGE difference.

X

Mr.X:
There was a fella named Dagodiver on The DecoStop who had a kit which was essentially a clone of a Gavin/SS type. He went through a series of stages towards that point which may serve as a starting point for you? I found his trial and error processes very interesting + he has access to a CNC machine which makes a HUGE difference.

X
I also followed the story. The end product was very impressive.

Find a Tekna with a busted shell. Gut the motor and electronics, prop and prop shroud and handles. If you notice, the shroud, prop and motor on the Tekna is the same as on many of the high dollar super scooters. The motor sits in an aluminum machined cone that can be easily adapted to a PVC type scooter construction.

The Tekna GE 24V direct drive motor with prop and efficient shroud can make upwards of 75 pounds of thrust. Thats is as high or higher than any scooter currently available--because essentially they all use the Tekna design---just with a more durable tube type case (body).

DSCF0160.jpg

I show this pic because you can see the motor inside the aluminum adapter here---imagine now machining a PVC type tube to accept this motor. The Tekna shroud screws off so it can be adapted to another scooter design and the prop is the same adjustable pitch prop which is very efficient.

N

This off topic but the way your tow strap is connected to the scooter looks unique. Looks like a piece of metal offset from the shroud with webbing to a quick release???

That was version 1.0, version 2.0 is an S bend bracket that keeps the straps close to the scooter. The quick release snaps allow me to adjust the scooter straps on the fly for either two handed or one handed use. The center bolt snap is sewn in to a fixed loop. The metal brackets are 1/4 inch countersunk screw to be flush on the inner side of the shroud. I have had no issues with this arrangment now on three different Teknas. N

Thanks! That's a lot like what I'm looking for... maybe I'll just buy one of those if I can find a junked scooter to gut the motor and prop from.

I think I'd need to put a coat of paint on the housing though... that PVC gray just doesn't do it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom