Do you need PADI AOW for the "Simply the Best" tour(Brothers, Elphinstone, Daedalus)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occrider

Contributor
Reaction score
I have more than 50 dives, but I keep hearing rumors that you need a PADI AOW or an equivalent. Can anyone confirm one way or another? I would rather not have to deal with the formalities of PADI training when I know I'm well qualified to handle strong currents. (Dove in Galapagos and Cozzy).

Why not ask the people you are planning the trip with? They will know definately know the answer?

http://www.sheffield.ukco.com/holidays/redsea-diving rules.html

Above is a link for the Red Sea Association rules, although I can't find a date for this. I could well be out of date. As Drew52 says, best to check with the dive operator you are going to book through.

I dived Elphinstone with 50+ logged dives and regular certification. That was 6 years ago with Pioneer Divers. Nobody asked me for advanced certification. Today I'm at about 200 dives. I've still never taken the advanced course.

On the same subject, just how strong are the currents, anyway? I've done drifts in Mozambique and Sodwana Bay, and am also looking at doing the 'Simply the Best' tour around mid-June. I'm always a bit wary of people saying conditions are rough. I prefer absolute measures.

JellyKing:
On the same subject, just how strong are the currents, anyway? I've done drifts in Mozambique and Sodwana Bay, and am also looking at doing the 'Simply the Best' tour around mid-June. I'm always a bit wary of people saying conditions are rough. I prefer absolute measures.

The big difference in the Red Sea compared too S.A. dive standards, is that you usually dive on your own with a buddy. No guide with a boy line. On the other hand orientation is usually easier, beacuse you normally have reefs that reach all the way to the surface. But most operators can arrange guided dives if asked for.
Conditions vary a lot on a place like Brothers. And that's what can make it deceptive. It can go from flat seas an no current to 1-2 metre waves and strong current pretty fast.

Mid june is normally tops regarding conditions. I'll be there in mid june :)

/christian

Wow. I concede that 5 knots is strong. I'll be diving off a liveaboard, so I expect all dives to be led.

JellyKing:
Wow. I concede that 5 knots is strong. I'll be diving off a liveaboard, so I expect all dives to be led.

It is possible, but not that common to have mask ripping currents. But every now and then you'd get a stiff 2-3 knot current on Brothers and Elphinstone. Another thing I forgot to mention that differs from S.A./Moz reefs is down current, which is common on e.g. Little Brother where the current hits the reef - it's called the Fan Coral garden.
Diving on Brothers is always liveaboard, as it is to far from shore to reach with day boats. But it's not nessecerily always dives led by a DM. It depends on how the staffing situation is on the boat, how many dive groups and what the guests ask for. I'm sure you can be in a led group if you wish to be.

/christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom