XR1 NDL in a pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have only been able to play with my new XR1 in a pool so far. At 11 ft the remaining NDL never changes from 9:59. I assume that this is just because I am so shallow that the timer doesn't start. Wanted to be sure before taking it on spring break.

Actual it means that you have more bottom time than 9:59 and the screen isn't set up for 10:00. I think it is the owners manual but wouldn't swear to it.

As crpntr133 says, the NDL doesn't change because it stays greater than the maximum 9 hours, 59 minutes that it can display.

You should be able to verify that the timer is working by seeing that that elasped dive time increments upward appropriately. I don't know about the XR1 specifically, but most dive computer start a dive somewhere around 5' depth and end it when you are back up to around 3', so it should be pretty easy for you to check to see if everything is starting and stopping as you expect.

Thanks guys. That makes since that it says 9:59 because there's no 1 digit for a 10:00. There'd be no reason to set the display screen up to show a 10:00.

I did get to use it in a pool with a tank on, so I know the other timer displays are all working. I guess I just wanted to be sure before I took it on vacation.

Do you two find it hard to keep the computer log from showing a "high" ascent rate? Seems to me if I raise my arm to scratch my head I get three arrows showing I'm ascending too fast.

Yeah the ascent indicator on the XR1/XR2 are *really* sensitive. It's difficult not to hit the red at least once in a dive. It's not a critical alert so it won't affect the function of the computer on subsequent dives, but do the best you can to keep it out of the red for anything more than those quick spikes. :)

I have an Areis XR2 and a Oceanic Pro Plus2, both almost always show me having a high ascent rate at the end of the dive. But when I download the dive details show no more than 26-30ft per sec. I have them set to 30sec sampling rate. My guess is when I push off an object or flip up when hovering to swim over an obstacle I get a 2 or 3 sec bleep of exceeding 50fth per minute even though I only move 4-6ft. Evidently Areis/Oceanic thinks sudden short moves are bad also.

Specmac,

The max indication will be of an event however only the point to point sample loggings will appear in your chart or table. It's easy to make the ascent rate calculations flip out on many computers even with a very small absolute movement if the rate is fast enough. This can represent a move of the instrument though not of your body.

I agree with your analysis of your situation this is where you need to rely on your own observations to temper what the computer is telling you. FWIW my similar experience has been with the Areis ATMOS-2.

Pete

You can stay at 11 feet forever and never have a decompression requirement.

Retro,

I don't know if you noticed me checking out my computer (Aeris 300G) at the pool that night. It was doing the same thing and I had the same question. I don't remember reading anything in my Manual but I figured it had something to do with not exceeding the NDL, If you go through the dive planning function on the computer (the 300G does not sure about yours) I think it shows something like 4:20 for a dive at 10 ft depth.

MSU99:
Retro,

I don't know if you noticed me checking out my computer (Aeris 300G) at the pool that night. ..... I think it shows something like 4:20 for a dive at 10 ft depth.
How about 4:20 at 30 feet. That's the NDL at 30' for the DSAT/PADI model used by Pelagiic/Oceanic/Aeris computers. NDL at 10' and 11' is limitless, as are the NDLs for anything shallower than somewhere around 20-25', depending upon the algorithm and how much padding the computer manufacturer has added.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom