Henderson Gold Core vs. Hyperstretch fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTKnox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me how much of a fit, more specifically, stretch, difference there is between Gold Core & Hyperstretch suits?

I have a Men's Large, 5MM Gold Core and the zipper will not stay closed. I'd get it zipped up and everything would be fine for a few minutes, but once I began moving around it would come undone, leaving me with an unwanted cold bath. I lift weights regularly, so I'm wider than the average person. Is there enough extra give in the Hyperstretch as opposed to the GC to warrant giving it a shot?

Thanks!

Yes, Hyperstretch is much more flexible than gold core. It is a common choice among more athletic body types specifically for that reason. However, you do sacrifice some warmth for the extra stretch so consider going up to a 7/5. (And be sure to keep us in mind when you're ready. :D )

I found the gold core difficult to get in and out of because it tended to cling to my skin. No problem with the regular hyper stretch. Perhaps that some of the problem: you're moving around and it clings and works the zipper open.

You might consider something as elementary as how you zip up. I pull the lanyard over my head until the zipper closes completely, then flatten the Velcro flap securely. The flap flattening the zipper shouldn't allow the zipper lever to move. Never has been a problem for me in either my 3 mm or 5 mm, my 7 mm two piece works differently.

Thanks for the replies so far folks, I appreciate it! I knew they were super-stretchy, just wasnt sure how much moreso than the GC.

As for the zipper, I tried that Shasta. I also tried wrapping it around the velcro, all to no avail.

To take this one step further, how does the stretch of the Bare Velocity Progressive Stretch compare to Hyperstretch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom