Headed for Sharm in Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule62

Reaction score
I'm headed for Sharm in Oct. Can someone answer a few questions?

1. What's the water temp?
2. Will a 3mm be enough?
3. Has anyone dived or stayed with Oonas Dive Club?
4. Is the Sinai safe for Americans?
5. US State Dept has issued warnings but I know how they can overstate reality!!!

1. Water temps should be around 25-26°C (sorry, too lazy to convert...)
2. Depends on how easily you get cold...
4. The Sinai is as safe or unsafe for Americans as for anyone else. In the extremely unlikely event of a terrorist attack, they won't ask for your nationality beforhand. Generally, Egypt is a very safe country for tourists.

Hi Sam,
Stefo is right...Egypt is as safe or unsafe for Americans as anyone else. I are one and am heading back in three weeks (!) for my fourth year in a row. Go...you'll love it!

Phil

Hello Sam,

I personally wouldn't go for a 3mm wetsuit - 5mm minimum, maybe bring a hooded 3mm vest. Another big factor is the wind here. It can be quite strong at times.
Sharm is safe enough .... until the next bombs (no kidding).
Sept- Oct-Nov are the high season months, so you might be diving from rather full boats. I don't know much about Oonas, but your diving experience will depend very much on the capabilities of the diveguides and boatcrews - and there are huge differences, as Sharm is not the easiest place to work in for a guide and high season usually puts a good strain on everybody.

have fun

Sven

1. 25 - 26 - very comfortable diving at that time of year
2. I dived with a 3mm shortie in Sharm right through to December. You can always rent a 5mm long sleeved shortie if you find it is not enough for you.
3. I dive and stay at Oonas all the time. It is my home from home. British run, well organised, very experieinced dive guides/instructors - expats that have lived and dived there for years. Boatcrew are great. Can't rate them all highly enough. Accomodation is fine - basic, but convenient and well located with all ammenities. Lovely roof top bar.
4. Sharm is as safe as anywhere in Egypt for any foreigner. I regularly take one of my American buddies diving with me.
5. the US State Dept, along with the British government overstate the risks - they ahve to. Egyptians go out of their way to protect tourists as they are the biggest money earners for the economy. Yes there are risks, but the police are everywhere. You can get blown up anywhere these days anyway. Sharm is as safe as it could ever be.

Back
Top Bottom