Dry suit moisture, possible backflow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Probably an obvious question, but here it goes. I was trying out a new dry suit today, just upgraded to a TriLam. I was diving to 80' feet in 48° water for one hour, so I am sure that none of the seals leaked, would have felt that tickle. At the end of my dive the inside of my suit was damp. I know that I was a little underweighted and had to completely empty the suit for the 15’ safety stop. The question is could I have back flowed through the arm dump valve, just like you do in a BC? Has anyone experienced this before? I can not believe that the seals leaked, the dampness was not isolated. Air temperature was 56°, with no rain. I am diving the suit again tomorrow. I have it turned inside out to dry. I had some minor leaks in the past from a bad seal but nothing like this. I never felt the cold, just noticed the color difference in places on the inner liner of the suit and some dampness on the exterior of my undergarment, again not isolated to one spot, but large sections of back chest and legs.

Thanks in advance for feedback and ideas.
:monkeydan

Well I'm not currently a drysuit diver, so take this with a grain of salt, but since the moisture wasn't isolated, is it possible this could be condensation of some type. Warm body inside, cold water outside causing some condensation to form?

Jimmer:
Well I'm not currently a drysuit diver, so take this with a grain of salt, but since the moisture wasn't isolated, is it possible this could be condensation of some type. Warm body inside, cold water outside causing some condensation to form?

I not thought of something like that, but I have never experienced it before. Although this is the first TriLam and that is a much thicker material, higher thermal value. Thanks for the suggestion.

It certainly sounds like body perspiration. I can get a lot especially in warm water like that.

Pete

yes, if the valve is opened too far it can leak into the suit, but then youd get the moist spots around the valve.. Chest and back could possibly be neck seal, but that dont really explain the legs?

if its just the surface of the garments and not wet through to your skin, it sounds like condensation to me..

Ive never really experienced bad condensation myself while diving tho, but then again I wear wool undergarments and those need to be pretty wet before you notice

Sound like condensation is the best explanation so far. My undergarment is a Pinnacle Evolution, the product description says that it "wicks moisture away from the diver". My previous undergarment was a bargain ebay purchase, warm but very simple fleece, nothing as high-tech as the new one. If it is body perspiration, the product did its job, I was dry as a bone just the outer rip-stop nylon and inside of the dry suit showed signs of moisture.

I switched from fleece to a new Bare High-loft undergarment. Noticed the same outside surface of the Bare undergarment was always moist at then end of the dive. Switched back to fleece just to make sure I wasn't having a leak and sure enough dry as can be. I get this even on short relaxed dives but all my dives were in water that's 46-48 degrees. Sounds like condensation to me.

My Bare T-100 garment has a exterior layer that reminds me of heavy duty Tyvec, I have had that end dives very wet on the outside while I was warm and dry inside. High performance outerwear is awesome stuff.

Pete

Looks like a lesson learned! Two weeks from the Big 'O' and I could see myself sending a new suit back to Pinnacle for no reason.

Thanks for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom